Friday, July 23, 2010

baby steps

This will probably seem super silly to 99.9% of you, but I found out how my seam ripper worked today! Honestly, nobody ever showed me how to use it (I actually guessed at what it was, the first time I saw one) because the only person who could have - my great grandma, whom I watched sewing sometimes when I was a little kid - used a tiny pair of scissors to unpick her seams. So how in the world should I have known that the little edge inside of it is actually a blade, that can *cut* my seams instead of ripping them??! (Incidentally, people with English as their mother tongue: if you accidentally make a whole into your fabric with a sharp object, like a knife, a pair of scissors or a seam ripper - have you cut the hole into the fabric or have you ripped it? It feels to me as if cutting implies intention - at least regarding to fabric - but I might be totally wrong...)

Anyway, this has made my work of unpicking a whole lot of box pleats from a former skirt, soon to be a babydoll top, so much more easy and fun. I like ripping seams! Also, now all the pleats are gone, there is a lot more fabric there than I thought - I think it'll be enough to make a simple skirt! Yay!

3 comments:

  1. Believe it or not I discovered this not long ago... I spent so much time unpicking seams in the past... but you need to be careful not to rip the fabric (this has happened to me!)

    bombardone.com/sewingprincess

    ReplyDelete
  2. What sb said! I have I have "ripped", torn, totally messed up my fabric by not paying close enough attention while removing seams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say "cut" implies a sharp edge being involved, while torn implies brute or blunt force. Either could be intentional or unintentional :). I broke my seam ripper a couple of weeks ago, and I keep forgetting to get a new one... it's amazing how much I miss it, though!

    ReplyDelete