Monday, September 6, 2010

Self-Stitched September, Day 5 & 6

Yesterday was a lounging around day, I didn't even leave the house although the weather was quite nice until early afternoon. I didn't take any pictures because the only self-stitched thing I wore was my lacy black tank-top/undershirt, which I've been wearing most days actually. I am going to take a picture of it one of these days and post it in my handmade closet... 

I have grown a little bored with my self-stitched clothing. It hasn't been warm enough to wear most of my tops, so my selection is really limited. Because of that, I stitched up a quick skirt yesterday. It is still mostly a summer skirt, but I guess it will do for September if paired with tights or boots. I got the fabric - navy blue cotton with turquoise polka dots - at the Holland fabric market in Freiburg, and it really, really wanted to be a skirt. With pleats. I didn't use a pattern, just my waist measurement, and pretty much winged the box pleats. Except for the tiny little detail that I totally forgot about my hips and had to take out half the length of the pleats, it worked surprisingly well. :) 


I attached the waistband with a technique I found in Sew what! Skirts by Francesca Denhartog & Carole Ann Camp. They call it "ditch-stitching", which is pretty cool especially if your top-stitching isn't up to par. You attach the front part of the waistband with a normal straight stitch and fold/presse it over. The back/inner part of the waistband needs to be a little longer and you attach it by stitching right over the front part seam. (Um, ok, not sure if that explanation was in any way coherent. I needed pictures and quite a bit of thinking to get it, but now I think it's genius.)


There are quite a few cute skirts and instructions how to make them from your measurements in this little book. :) 

I guess I need to stitch up a couple more things for my September wardrobe, if I don't want to die of boredom. There is a sweater thingy in the making that I started but didn't have enough fabric. Now it's pretty short both at the hem and at the arms. I'm thinking of attaching blouse cuffs and a collar in a cute fabric... Or I could attach a skirt part and make a dress out of it - I think. Also, the strawberry fabric wants to be a skirt - maybe a short circle with a crinoline...

No comments:

Post a Comment