Friday, September 24, 2010

Self-Stitched September, Days 20-24 + Culinary Berlin!

Umm, yes. About those sailor trousers? I still haven't started sewing them. I haven't even cut them out. I have made another top, though, with some of my newly bought fabric! I had (allegedly) bought 1m of the 1,60m wide fabric, but either the lady who sold it stretched it a little too much while cutting or it shrunk a lot during washing, because I ended up with 85x150cm. Which meant that I couldn't squeeze a shirt and a short gathered skirt out of it... I prioritized the top and ended up making a little straight skirt out of the remaining fabric, but it looks very strange... Ah well...


The fabric reminds me of the Spanish designer brand, Desigual, which I think makes some really awesome clothes. Their coats...! I used fold-over elastic for the hemming and I like how it looks. The sleeves are hemmed with narrow FOE, which was a pain to sew. I liked the broad kind a lot better!


It's wrap-style and I mostly improvised the pattern although I had a look at a similar shirt I already have. I copied the sleeves from my striped jersey shirt... One day, I have to transfer the sleeve head and arm scythe to paper, but I'm too lazy...

I love how the top turned out, and have worn it three times this week! The fabric doesn't seem to be made for frequent washing, though, it's already showing a bit of white fuzz...

So, Monday I wore the blue polka dot skirt you have already seen half a dozen times. The pictures turned out blurry, so I'm not posting them...

Tuesday: the new shirt plus self-stitched lacy tank underneath. We went Salsa dancing and Karaoke singing in the evening and I styled it with a black skirt. No pics, I'm afraid (have I mentioned my bf has a photographing phobia?...) I wore the same on Thursday, though...

Wednesday: lazy day... I wore the top again, though.

Thursday: top and black skirt. Yes, summery temperatures, yay! I forgot to have my coffee date take a picture of me, though, so you can't see the beautiful weather...

Today was just as nice, though, so I wore the strawberry skirt and an old graphic tee. And no tights! :) 

I got tickets for a culinary tour through Berlin/Kreuzberg for my birthday and we took the tour today. The weather was perfect for it and we got to know a few cool new eating places. I was a little sad that about half of them were "touristy" places (as in, found in lots of guidebooks), but the food was mostly good to excellent and we wandered through some very beautiful streets! There are lots of them in Berlin, but if you don't know where they are, you can only stumble over them by chance... I definitely want to go back and maybe try the food in some of the cute little places we just went by. 

Maybe browse some used books...

Try some more of the yummy looking baked goods at this place...

The chocolate-cream-cheese-brownies we tried were super yummy! (Oh, and can you see that I really like picnik's cross processing tool...? ;) Love those colors!)

This is one of Kreuzberg's best Oriental sweet pastry shops - I usually take some with me when I happen to pass by, but we were so full today that I absolutely couldn't...

Right across the street is a cute little place that sells the most awesome Falafel (chick pea), Shawarma (chicken), Makali (vegetable) and other sandwiches in that area. There are probably thousands of places like that in Berlin, but this one has not only low-price, really yummy food but also a really nice atmosphere...

Those tiles alone...!

Oh, and look what I also glimpsed behind a gate:

I am totally in love with vintage cars, I could stare at them for hours! I'm a little sad I couldn't get any nearer because the gate was locked...

5 comments:

  1. I love the wrap top, it's beautiful and definitely very desigual looking :) I love all the retro looking photos you took too! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I'm glad you like both the top and the photos! :)

    It's actually not hard to get that retro-look, it's one of the features of the online photo-processing tool Picnik. It can be accessed both through Picasa and flickr or through http://picnik.com and doesn't even need registering. I just "auto-fixed" my pics and then on the "Create"-tab I did the "crossprocessing"... Although with some, I played around with the brightness and contrast, too, but they usually look fine without it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the wrap top and the fabric is great... I love Desigual but their clothes are so expensive!!! Question: is it a jersey fabric? If so.. how did you finish the neckline? I had some problems with mine despite having used a feed dog and stretch double needle. Thanks for any tips!
    http://bombardone.com/sewingprincess

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Sewing Princess: Thank you! :) I've been thinking about re-creating some more of the Desigual styles (like those awesome patchwork sheath dresses with buttons down the front side) but I'm still looking for the right fabrics...
    This fabric is a print jersey and was very stretchy. I think some lycra/elasthane blend...? I finished it with a broad (20mm) fold-over elastic and three-stitch zigzag and used angrychicken's tutorial that somebody linked to a little while ago (http://angrychicken.typepad.com/angry_chicken/2008/07/foe-fold-over-e.html). I tried a narrower (14mm) FOE first but the fabric slipped out constantly... The broad FOE worked out beautifully and I also think it's a nice look. :)
    This wasn't necessary for the neckline because of the FOE, but for all the other seams, I put tissue paper underneath the fabric to help against stretching out. Hope this helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the details. It's very helpful.

    ReplyDelete