Saturday, November 6, 2010

busy bee

My dear fellow bloggers, I love travelling. I love the excitement of getting to see new places, meet new people, try new things, but it can also be a little frustrating, especially pertaining to blogging... I've had a very exiting couple of days, visiting LA and arriving in Auckland. So exciting that I've barely managed to sort through my pictures and keep up with my personal blog (which is mostly for my family and friends, but don't hesitate to visit if you'd like to see some more pictures of the places I travel and if you don't mind that the text is all German...) - and seeing stuff I'd like to blog about over here several times a day - like the awesome fabric I bought and that cute little fabric shop... - doesn't make it any easier...

I'm not complaining, because I'm having the time of my life right now! :) I just want to say sorry that I'm really bad about keeping up with blogs at the moment - I barely have time to read, not to mention comment and there are several blog posts in my head that I haven't had the time to write yet.

So, here is a little sewing post before I have the time for another travelling post. :)

I actually managed to get in some sewing while I was visiting my friend in Kentucky. She really loved the brown curderoy, so I decided to make a little pregnancy skirt for her, as thanks for putting up with me (and feeding me) for almost a week. I found some brown knit jersey for the wide waistband and made the skirt a very slight A-line, with no closures and just a couple of back darts. Sadly, it ended up a little bit more slapdash than I would have liked. While I fell in love with my friend's sewing machine on sight...

(isn't it wonderful?! so cute! and the color! ok, I'm done with the exclamation marks...) ...we didn't see eye to eye on thread tension and couldn't resolve our differences without one of those tiny screwdrivers, so she arranged for me to use the sewing machine of one of her nieces. With a little toddler in the way and a BBQ planned for the evening and the machine problems,  fitting and finishing kind of got the short straw, so I was a very bad little sewist and didn't iron the seams or the hem! (I felt really bad about it, too...)

It did turn out wearable, though, so I won't say anything about it anymore! (Also, I won't have to carry around some of that fabric anymore. Good for my back! ;)


I have to admit to being a very bad backpacker, though. Apart from buying the fabric and buttons I already showed you, and those three cute patterns and the buttons shown above (hey, Walmart: 3.50$, home: 10$), I went fabric shopping at the FIDM scholarship store in LA, as per Ali's suggestion.

Dear reader, if you ever go backpacking across the US, don't go there (except for, maybe, with a very empty backpack).

Honestly. Before I went in there, I thought I could get a couple of yards of nice patterned knit fabric, you know, for a summer dress maybe.

In there I was like, oooh, nice fabric, and that too, and you sell those by the yard, too? Well...

Out I came with a little over 10 yards of various very nice fabrics.

Having paid a little over 11$ for all of it.

And about 10 lbs more to carry, in my hand luggage of course, because my backpack is already very full, and the post office had, by the time I saw what I had done, already closed.

So I carried the handsome lot all the way to New Zealand, to post it here, for a horrendous price (although all in all, I've probably still paid less then I would have for the same fabric at home...). And now it is on its merry way around the globe, to Germany.


Whenever I'll wear a garment made from some of that fabric, I bet I'll tell this story to anyone who'll hear it... ;)

5 comments:

  1. Ha ha! It's so enticing isn't it? Gorgeous fabrics at $1 yard! I was just in LA last week and I came home with a pretty little stack. If it makes you feel any better, on my first visit I got a $50 parking ticket (ugh!) and even with that totaled in, I still think it was a steal. ;)

    Happy travels to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoa that's a nice stash... loads of projects for when you get back. Love that cute sewing machine... I have a Singer from the 60's that I got from my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ali: Yes, it was wonderful! Too bad I'm not in LA more often... You know, that actually does make me feel better... ;)

    @Sewing Princess: Yes, I know... I already have lots of projects in my head for them (mostly nice little summer dresses, yay!) I'd love to actually get a vintage sewing machinge sometime and do some sewing with it, they look so adorable and sturdy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where are you in your travels, now? I miss your lovely posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah! I've been in NZ for the last two weeks. Not a lot of internet during the first and now lots of working, but I'll try to put together an update soon! If you want to look at some of the pictures in the meantime, you might head over to my personal blog and have a look at them (link is in my bio).

    ReplyDelete