Sunday, January 2, 2011

greetings from australia

First of all, Happy New Year to you! I hope you all had a nice Holiday season (I have no idea, since I still have over 200 unread blogposts in my reader, partly dating from before Christmas) and enjoyed the turning of the year.

I have made my way over to Australia by now. The rest of my trip in NZ was really nice, I enjoyed artsy, laid-back Wellington, wandered around Cuba St. and bought way too many pairs of earrings (e.g. 3)...

I cycled along the Wine Trail in Blenheim on the South Island and tried quite a few very yummy Sauvignon Blancs (probably one of my favorite whites, at least from this part of the world)...

I went on a guided Kayak tour to visit a seal colony in Kaikoura, bought a nice pair of sandals in Christchurch and took a seemingly never-ending but mind-numbingly beautiful road-trip to Queenstown, where I bought another really nice pair of (handmade) earrings.

I also visited Milford sound and saw some more seals and also dolphins!

And the market in Queenstown, apart from the handmade jewellery there was soap looking like the most delicious cupcakes!

Then, I had a nice 4 days in Melbourne, visiting the numerous Museums and Art Galleries when it rained and checking out some cute shops in St. Kilda and Fitzroy when it didn't. I picked up some cute bits of jewellery and some nice ideas for "stuff to make" or things I'd like to have, but didn't find any fabric or clothes that wowed me enough to buy (and I was still carrying around my NZ-bought fabric with me)...

Like this cute shop called "Inspirasia" in Fitzroy, that had beautiful handmady clothing that I'm sure Carolyn would like, purses and also housewares (such a cute tea set! want!)...

And a vintage shop in St. Kilda...


Then I met up with my boyfriend in Sydney for Christmas and we have spent the last few days visiting the markets (more jewellery! and books! and a cute polka-dot shirt-dress that sadly didn't fit very well but which construction I had a good look at and which I'm planning to copy!), lounging on the beach, visiting the second hand shops in Newtown (if you ever get to Sydney, take a trip there, it's wonderful!)...

Oh look, cupcake houseware, I bet Sarah would like those!

And a shop full of pretty buttons! Sadly, it was closed for the Holidays, but we're going back in a couple of days...

And a knitting café! Sounds like a nifty idea, they seemed to have lots of nice knitting books...

We're staying a little longer and we're having a wonderful time! I hope you all have a great time, too! :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Such amazing photos and pretty, pretty things. You're absolutely right that I love the cupcake housewares! *drooling* They would look adorable in my cupcake kitchen.

    I love the bangle bracelet you have and those cupcake soaps are amazing!

    You look tanned, relaxed, and happy! Glad to see you posting and delighted you're having such a great time. :)

    ReplyDelete