Tuesday, April 12, 2011

plans & sketches

There hasn't been much sewing going on here, lately. Possibly because we rearranged our living room for a workshop a couple of weeks ago, and now I have to carry my sewing machine about 4m to put it onto the dining table. Yes, I am that lazy. Then again, BF and I spent a long weekend in Hamburg with my sister and her boyfriend, to see the Lion King musical, and classes started again yesterday, so maybe I have an excuse.

I have spent some time on planning my summer sewing, though, and sketching out the projects I had in mind for the fabrics I have accumulated on my world trip. I realize that I haven't even finished my Spring Palette sewing (it's not the sewing, it's the pattern drafting and muslining I'm dreading...) but my creative mind doesn't seem too impressed by that. Not even by the fact that I don't have patterns for any of the garments I sketched out, and that I'm planning to (mostly) draft those, too - at least if I don't cave in at some point and go browse BurdaStyle...

I think the no-chafe hidden-shorts-underskirt/petticoat is a pretty genius idea, if I say so myself... ;)

Fact is, I've been craving fitting slopers/basic patterns ever since I've started sewing, and I'm pretty sure I could draft pretty much anything I could think up if I just had the basics. In my head it all sounds very easy... not sure if that's all just in my head, though. I may not have enough knowledge about garment construction to pull it off. I have been thinking about taking a sewing class, too. Maybe on drafting and sewing a dress... Ah well.

I think I will ask one of my friends to help me make a body double this weekend. I'd like to make it from paper mache (more stable than duct tape) and I already bought plaster bandages and wallpaper glue. They have actually been sitting amidst my craft things since last year... The very first dress I tried to make, I first tried to draft the pattern by draping newspaper paper around my body. It didn't work, but it might if I use a body double and muslin...

So, any thoughts on self-drafting patterns, draping or body doubles? Have you ever made any of the above? Did it work out?

7 comments:

  1. Cal Patch's Design-It-Yourself Clothes is a fantastic pattern drafting book. :) Your plans look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sarah, the book is great. I drafted my pants using it. If you want I also have some additional info on drafting on my blog. Let me know if you need any help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to mention... your sketches are beautiful! I love them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, you two! :)

    I actually have that book and was trying to draft pants from it last year. I think I have some language problems, though, at least with the pants (the tops usually seem rather straightforward) and the crotch part and which way to draw the lines... Possibly also because I've never made pants before. *g* I still have those pants on my Spring Palette list, I really should take them out and make another go at fitting them. Or possibly I should start with something easier...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I really want to get the hang of pattern drafting too...I'm taking part in a drafting sew-along on Portia's blog http://portialawrie.blogspot.com
    i think it starts on Monday.

    I made a paper tape dress form last year which turned out really well and sturdy..i have changed sizes since then though so need to make another one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also recommend the book, but I will say not all of my drafting ventures have turned out well. I do love it though, so much more fun than tracing patterns. I've decided to talk a body sloper pattern class, because like you, I want one basic pattern that fits me, and I want a pro to help me with it. I'm convinced it'll be a good investment, but well see :)

    Good luck and can't wait to see what you come up with.

    (I did try to make a duct tape form and ended up ditching it because the size was larger than I was)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the link, Alexandra, I think I'll take part in that draft-along, it sounds interesting!

    @Ali: A sloper class sounds like a wonderful idea, I'll have to find out if we have any around here! Pattern tracing is also one of my less favorite activities... I have a half-traced Macaron dress that's been lying around for weeks!

    ReplyDelete