Monday, August 29, 2011

Pretty Things!

Some more cute things I found on my vacation in Austria: in Vienna I stumbled over a little shop selling funky stuff, jewellery and beads and had to buy some things for making necklaces and earrings. I'm especially in love with the little donuts and cupcakes...

I also saw a poster for a flea market at a local craft store, and we went and raided their button stash. Only 3 cents a button! And look at those cuties!

What makes me happiest comes in a nice black&white suitcase...

And was accompanied by a little metal box holding these:

Purple thread and metal bobbins!

It's my great-grandma's sewing machine, a Privileg 518, which is probably older than I am. It's made of all metal and it must be the one that I made my first stitches on, back when I was about 5 and was interested in pretty much anything my great-grandma did. My grandma, who doesn't really sew, had it in her basement and decided to bequeath it to me. She loves that I sew, and even reads my blog. So, I've already said it but: Thanks, grandma! :)

I've only sewn a couple of stitches but it seems to work very well so far. Depending on how much time I can squeeze between my workday (GYN/OB rotation that started today) and family evenings, I might start on a polka-dotted Rooibos this week - if I manage to get it traced out. ;) I'm also on the lookout for a nice woolen fabric, for Casey's Circle Skirt Sew-along.

Talking of challenges, I've decided that, even though I love the challenge, I won't take part in Self-Stitched September this time around. I'm working as a trainee docter for three weeks of September, so I'm spending most of my day in scrubs, and after this first day, I forsee that I'd rather spend the rest of the day in lounge clothes instead of dressing up. I might join the Me-Made-Wednesday that's been started in the German sewing blogosphere, though, in the hope that it'll also motivate me to work on my fall sewing... ;)

Talking of fall sewing, the Fall Essentials Sew-Along is starting on Thursday! Stay alert for the announcement! :)

7 comments:

  1. Hi Alessa! I really love your blog. You make really gorgeous clothes. I also love that you are a med student who sews, as I am also a med student who sews, and there aren't many of us around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your student doctor training! and speaking of scrubs, I once saw on Burdastyle a really cool set of scrubs that a lady made for herself to wear in theatre. (or operating room, I'm not sure what you call it in Germany, we call it the operating theatre) Hers had pink pants and love-heart printed top... I can see you in polka dotted scrubs!
    Your grandmothers sewing machine is a beauty... how wonderful that she has entrusted it to you. I'll bet it works better than many new ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great sewing machine! Don't you just love the weight those older types of machines? Hope it'll bring you lots of sewing joy!

    Good luck on your trainee period!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yippee!! Great-grandma's sewing machine!! How marvellous! I can't wait to see what you make with it - your polka dot Rooibos sounds lovely.

    So excited about the Fall Essentials Sew-Along! *squee!!*

    ReplyDelete
  5. The suitcase is really cute and the sewing machine a real beauty. It seems really sturdy and I am sure you will sew beautiful things on it. What a great gift...you must be really excited.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your blog( my first time here:) )

    I like the buttons. I have the same fetish

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great finds, I love the little box with sewing notions in it. The machine looks good and how nice to have something inherited. Good luck with the gyn/ob rotation. Sounds like you are in the "real" hospital/medical world now! Very exciting. A polka dotted rooibos sounds very sweet. x

    ReplyDelete