Saturday, August 13, 2011

Short update & Fall sewalong

Sooo, just a short update in between trips. My summer school was a lot of fun, with interesting lectures every day, cool workshops (my main one was Clowning and we even went to a nursing home on the last day to try out our skills) and the coolest thing of all: free afternoon activities like action painting, a field trip teaching about local traditional healing plants, bodypainting...I even got up every morning at 7:00 to try out the different wake up activities like singing, Tai Chi, Yoga and Voice&Breathing, and there was music and dance lessons in the evenings... I was also pretty amazed to get to know so many deeply creative, wonderful people who also happen to study Medicine. :D

I had so much fun, the only time I managed to pick up my book or my knitting needles was during the trip... Which was ok, because I used cotton yarn instead of sock yarn, which resulted in a shaft that would have fit a small elephant, so I had to unravel it and start over. I got this far:

I haven't managed to do much of anything since arriving at my parents'. We took along another friend, so we showed him around, went to have ice-cream, saw Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night" and Kleist's "Amphitryon" open air - and I went yarn shopping. I've never knitted anything more complicated than a scarf or wrist warmers, and that little bit of ribbing is the most I've ever made of a sock. But Sarah's Learning to Knit project and Sweater Knitalong have put a silly little voice in my head that's hopping around, coaxing me to make a knit dress. In red. With a cowl neck and no sleeves. It actually has a very specific picture of how it's supposed to look like. So I saw this cute bamboo&rayon yarn at the local yarn shop and bought every last skein they had. Which amounted to this:

Which is slightly silly, because the eight skeins amount to 400g and it says on the label that you need 650g to make a pullover. The skeins were on sale for only 1€ apiece, though, so if I don't find at least 5 more of them somewhere, they'll make a nice very long scarf and mittens. Maybe.

Now, before I have to run and pack the rest of my stuff to go to Vienna later, I'd like to announce that after the very successful Second Annual Summer Essentials Sew-Along (some of you are still sewing - yay! :), Sarah, Ali and I have decided to continue the fun and host a Fall-Essentials Sew-Along, starting in September! :)

We're still ironing out the last of the details, but we'll be back with more infos before September starts, I promise! :)

8 comments:

  1. Wow! You look incredible in that photo! Good luck with your socks and your dress! They will be superb additions to your autumn sewalong wardrobe

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU LOOK SO COOL! have fun in vienna, hope you get as little knitting done as you want too:))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. That green is gorgeous! It's nice to have so much fun that you can't get around to the crafty stuff. I'm so excited about the new sew along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You look so fun and fabulous all painted up! :) Sounds like a great summer school. Enjoy Vienna - I'm looking forward to your photos when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your summer school sounds like so much fun and that photos of you so painted up is pretty cool too! If you haven’t checked it out yet, try Ravelry – tons of free patterns and you can even look them up by yarn type. I bet you find something for the bamboo yarn you bought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe, re your washing comment, interesting.. When my kids were little I washed everything everyday too! Well, little kids don't take care to avoid spilling food on their clothes, or think about the consequences of jumping about happily in a muddy puddle, and so they shouldn't either! It's only as we get older and wiser (?) that we start to worry about stuff like our clothes... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look great with the body paint! The camp sounds like fun. I like the colour of the yarn you bought, sure it will knit up really nicely. The cowl neck dress sounds very pretty and versatile. I hope your trip to Vienna is good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! It looks like you got to do a bunch of cool things! I'm so excited that you guys are going to do another Sew-Along for the Fall as well. I'm really looking forward to it! Thank you also for the sweet comment on my blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete