Thursday, September 1, 2011

Fall Essentials Sew-Along

Hi everybody! September 1st is finally here and, together with my two co-hosts, Sarah from Rhinestones and Telephones and Ali from The Wardrobe, Reimagined, I can proudly present to you the Fall Essentials Sew-Along! :)


Last year's Summer Essentials Sew-Along, created by Ali, was my first introduction into the sewing community and a wonderful motivation for creating my first garments. When Ali asked early this summer if I wanted to co-host this year's, I was thrilled! I love seeing everybody's plans and inspirations, and how those turn into finished garments. We had 71 participants and roughly 150 garments this time around!

Now that summer is turning over into fall (we've been having lovely warm days and very chilly nights around here), we've decided to keep the fun going. So please join us in sewing some lovely Fall Essentials!

We've come up with seven categories of Fall Essentials, just to keep organized, but feel free to add to them!





Fashionable Foundations for Frosty Weather
Trousers, skirts, legwarmers and more! Anything that keeps your lower portion fashionably cozy fits perfectly here! The chilly weather necessitates the donning of bifurcated bottoms and sassy skirts!

Chic Chemises for Cool Climates
Blouses, tops, vests, cardigans, and sweaters! These wardrobe essentials can carry you from day to night, not to mention provide necessary layering to keep out the chill.


Fabulous Frocks
Dresses of all styles; mini, short, or long! Keep yourself warm in your modish designs, layering with tights and boots!


Underneath It All
When you're spending months covered from the neck down, a glamorous underpinning of your choice adds a secret, luxurious touch that chases the cold away!


Tender Tootsies
Let's not forget your frosty feet! Socks, slippers and the like are the order of the day. Keep those tootsies warm and dry!


Those Cozy Nights
Is there anything better than snuggling up in a cozy pair of pajamas with a hot drink and a book whilst Jack Frost works his magic outside? I think not! Sleepwear of all types are the way to go here!


Baby It's Cold Outside
Coats, hats, and mittens donned to keep the cold at bay, especially when out enjoying the spectacular fall colours!

Sarah is keeping a Member List on her blog. To officially join the sew-along, just join the flickr group and post your name/blog to the member list or send an email to Sarah. Here is a lovely button that you can post on your blog:








We thought we'd make as few rules as possible, so you can tie any plans and sew-alongs in with this one. I for one will probably take part in Colette's Fall Palette Challenge and Casey's Circle Skirt Sew-Along, and maybe take up some knitting...

Also, dear sewists from the southern hemisphere, feel free to join the sew-along using the Summer Essentials Categories! I'm sure we'll be jealous of your sweet little sundresses and breezy blouses come November!

So, happy sewing, folks!

5 comments:

  1. Yippee! Let the creating begin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! I can't wait to see what you make. I'm terrible with sewing/dressing for cold weather. I never know what to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, sounds like so much fun... I would so love to join in but I'm completely out of synch with your seasons! I've just finished sewing/knitting one of each of those items :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for hosting this group. I have posted my sewing projects and am ready to go!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray! It's gonna be a busy, sewing fall. :) I just saw Jessica this past weekend and she gave me a little something from you. I LOVE it. So lovely. Such a pretty way to punch up my usually plain outfits. I'll think of you each time I wear it. Thank you, thank you, crafty lady!

    ReplyDelete