Thursday, October 13, 2011

Things

Long time no blog!  Funny how, after managing five blog posts in two weeks, I go two weeks without. I guess both of my sewing and writing mojo come in intervals...

Anyway, my hands haven't been totally idle. I did document a couple of cute self-stitched outfits during the last two weeks. The top one was on one of the last, genuinly warm nights. We're sitting outside a bar, drinking Pina Colada out of hollowed-out pineapples! Yum! I'm wearing my b&w jersey dress, of course.

Here I dressed up for the 65 year anniversary party of the magazine my boyfriend works for. Honestly, my favorite part are my new glasses, they go really well with the Crepe (and pretty much everything else)... :)

We visited the fair on October 3rd, which is Unification Day (national holiday) in Germany and I wore my green knit dress and bought a lovely new hat! No picture of either, but a ferris wheel during sunset...

I wore the hat with this outfit on the night of one of my friend's birthday (no pics). We baked her a pink pony cake! :) The dress is one of my two favorite RTW dresses, thrifted almost exactly a year ago in a Goodwill in Franklin, TN. I'm also wearing a self-stitched black longsleeve and my embroidered fleece jacket. It's lined with rose jersey. :)

Other stuff I've been up to: my first Macaron version is all but finished. I used a cute navy/red rayon floral fabric (given to me by my boyfriend's grannie from her stash, it's in the background for the pic below) for the main part and some stretchy red woven that used to be a skirt for the contrast yoke. However, I'm not quite pleased with the fit of the yoke. It's too big (evil stretch fabrics!) and a bit too heavy... and I'm not in love with the gathered sleeves... and the neckline is too high for my taste... I may just unpick it and try for a jersey/interlock yoke. The good point is that I do like the skirt part, which I wasn't sure would look flattering on my figure.

I also spent some time on non-selfish knitting. :) My sister's birthday is today and I made her a pair of purple reading mitts and a  crocheted flower brooch. I sent it to her and it actually arrived on time - she loves them! It seems her friends really like the flower brooch so I'm going to make some more. Personally, I'm not really a brooch person but a flower or two might look nice on my black coat, too... :)

Also, my sew-in labels came today! I'm sooo excited! First job is to add them to all the clothes I have already made, which, looking at my handmade (and recently reorganised) closet may take a while...

So what's happening in your little corner of the world?

14 comments:

  1. Love your new glasses and those labels look so professional - hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, look at you go, girl! I love the new glasses (I need new ones, too) and your handmade closet is truly fantastic! I really like the purple reading mitts - they are on my to knit list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love your new glasses too, I need new ones soon too, but am the buy until the dark and boring months so that I´ll have something exciting to look forward too...;-)

    Isn´t it fun with personal labels? I haven´t been as ambitious as you are planning on though, I only add them to new stuff I make…

    And that cake is hilarious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new labels and the glasses, and I like to see that the Self-stitching continues!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you have been having lots of fun recently. Great photos. I like the new glasses. I have to go today to look for glasses and you have inspired me! The labels are great too. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Die Schildchen sind ganz und gar fantastisch!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post. Love the labels, love your new glasses (I have been looking at a similar frame even though I only wear glasses to drive) and love the picture with you BF. What a funky cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am digging those new specs! The Macaron is going to be delish... you should knit a little flower in the same purple to add to it :) Good luck sewing in all your labels...I'm so lazy, that if I forget to do so, I just can't be bothered to go back and stitch it in. For posterity, I'd like to, but.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the comments, guys! :)

    @Sarah: Ooh, yes, it'll be fun to have coordinating gloves across the interwebs!

    @Sølvi: I know what you mean, even living way South of you and with equinox barely over... Have fun looking for glasses then! And I guess I'm not going to put the labels into every garment I've made, but I totally get a thrill out of seeing them there!

    @Sewing Princess: Well, I don't wear them all the time. Driving, movies, theater... But those are awesome enough to be an accessoire when I feel like it. ;)

    @Threadsquare: :D I am deeply in love with the flowery fabric. We'll see how the yoke turns out... About the labels: posterity, whatever - they make me do the happy dance when I see them! Then again, I've only had them for a couple days... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fantastic photos- I love your colour choices. Crafty making post bur all very colourful including the cake!! Some amazing self stitching, I'll be interested in seeing what your macaron becomes. Glasses I think are important, and yours are cute and stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, your new glasses are so cute, and really suit you, if I may say so :)
    And those handwarmers are just yummy, I love the lacy stitch on the ends, and the cable work. Adorable! Very generous of you to be giving them away... your sister is so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the polka dot crepe! I noticed you made a comment about wanting to learn to pattern draft at Tillys and I have put up a tutorial to draft a pencil skirt from your own measurements at my blog.thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. The labels/dress/mitts are all lovely!

    I also like your "Handmade Closet" feature-- I have to admit that I generally read your posts off of Google Reader, so I hadn't really noticed it before! Just out of curiosity, how did you get a separate tab for that on here?

    ReplyDelete
  14. The new glasses look great! And I'm glad to hear that you're having a pleasant October so far. I really need to knit me some mitts!

    ReplyDelete