Thursday, November 24, 2011

Finished Things

How come it is Thursday already?! Wasn't it Monday a minute ago? Time seems to be flying by - as it usually does, when you have stuff to do.

So, things.

As most of you will probably have seen, I did a guest post on Holiday Treats (cinnamon stars and hot cherry chocolate, yum!) over at Rhinestones and Telephones last Tuesday! Hop over if you haven't seen it yet and want to try a new recipe for holiday cookies!

Last week was pretty busy. My drama group finally performed "Ajax // Don Quichotte (beta)" (an interesting and slightly experimental mash-up of the two pieces of literature) on stage, with several dress rehersals before opening night on Thursday and performances through the weekend. It was pretty awesome, even though I think 95% of the people who came knew at least one of the people involved.


My mom, sister and her boyfriend even came up on Wednesday and stayed until Sunday morning, and I spent the days shopping and walking about the city with them. Of course, evenings were spent celebrating, drinking, eating and having fun - so not much time for sewing. On the upside, I did quite a bit of knitting before the performances to settle my nerves. So now my scarf is finished!



I think it's about 2m long, I can wrap it around my neck 4 times! *g* Even with my blocking, it's prone to rolling up though. It might be that the bamboo rayon yarn doesn't block that well. Any suggestions?

I've also been scrambling to get my report sheets together. I'm starting my last year of uni and what most of you might know as medical internship in February, and the deadline to show that you have indeed completed all necessary classes and doing the required practical work is Dec. 1. Of course, my Uni doesn't do this digitally, we have to go to every secretary's office of almost every class we've taken, get a little piece of paper and take everything to the internship office. I might have started earlier with this, alas, I totally forgot and now one of the secretaries is sick. Hope she'll be fine again by Monday...

I did manage to finish another garment and Fall Essential, though. A raglan longsleeve from one of the Fabric Market jerseys, the pattern is from Ottobre 5/2008. Apart from a bit of rolling, the jersey was very uncomplicated to sew. Not too stretchy. :) I still need to hem, and I'm thinking of making a few matching fabric flowers for embellishment. It looks rather plain like that. But good for layering...
I've another cut out, that one in green with a gathered neckline. We'll see how it turns out. Until then, my next project for communting is already on my knitting needles - but secret for now, as certain kind of people read my blog. ;)

Hope you're all having a good week!


15 comments:

  1. Wow that's so cool that you're in a theatre group! I'm sure the play was smashing :)

    The scarf looks great - I love super long scarves. I've never knit with bamboo so I don't know how it behaves, but I kinda like it when knits roll up like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo! That´s a great color on your scarf, and two meters - that is impressive. I have a lace scarf like that (RTW) in lambswool, and it rolls up too, so no advise from me, only support to tell you that you are not alone. One of my favorite crochet/knitting blogs blocked a lace scarf not so long ago, maybe that post can be helpful? http://www.futuregirl.com/craft_blog/2011/9/blocking-blue-lace.aspx

    Good luck with collecting all the papers you need! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so busy!! It was lovely to see you over at Sarahs blog, those cookies look reaaly good. Well done on finishing a very impressive scarf and a top aswell!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh WOW! I love your scarf! such a beautiful lacey pattern, and I enjoyed the picture of you knitting in the theatre too. I'm really glad I'm not the only one who KIP's (knits in public...) Good luck with the final stages collecting your reports!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the scarf. Such a lovely colour and the lace pattern is so pretty! I'm glad you’ve caught the knitting bug - isn't it just great?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, that is a snazzy scarf! I love it! Well done! :) Love your new top, too! Red is definitely a great colour for you.

    Eeep! I well remember the madness of collecting paperwork for internship (I was one of the secretaries). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that a photo of you sporting not one but two handmades? They both look lovely! I love how well you coordinate your garments. Also, that scarf looks beautiful. Your handwork on the needles looks gorgeous!

    As to blocking ... my experience is that scarves can sometimes have the tendency to roll, regardless of how much you block them or what they're made of. Wish I had a better answer for you ... except to say that the scarf itself looks gorgeous and probably you are the only person to notice that it rolls?

    ReplyDelete
  8. :) Thanks for your answers. I guess I'll just leave it rolling up then.

    @Sarah: Yes, I'm sure it's not much fun for the secretaries, either... *g*

    @Jessica: You know, some days I actually go all handmade... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the play! The scarf and shirt look great together. I find that plain T-shirts are more versatile for layering, but they do seem rather boring to make, don't they.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The scarf looks great, that is a fabulous colour on you. I like the tee too, a great wardrobe basic. Good luck with all the paperwork, sounds like a long task!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Huge congrats on the play - that must have taken up lots of time rehearsing and learning lines too Very wonderful scarf- I've enjoyed you showing progress along the way. And the matching tshirt- lovely colours on you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your performances sound AMAZING. I would love to see that script because a mash up like that would be really interesting to me. Love the scarf! I always crocheted before performances to calm my nerves :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The performace looks great! I am sure it was fun. Love the scarf too. Unfortunaly I can´t give any advice on how to solve the rolling issue. Good luck with the paperwork!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oll...auf dem Ajax-Bild sehe ich nicht wie weinend sondern wie erbrechend aus...oll...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't knit, just a little crochet, but that scarf can roll right over onto my neck ;)

    ReplyDelete