Saturday, December 10, 2011

More FESA and Self-Stitched Saturday

I didn't think I'd get a lot of sewing done this week, since I had my surgery practical rotation. I was wrong, though, as I was posted in the clinic and the doctor in charge seemed less than enthusiastic with our presence. I did get to see and do a couple of things, but on the whole it was rather a waste of time (we were told to occupy ourselves with our books for three hours out of four, and didn't even have to come in on Friday). On the positive side, I was home by 1 p.m. each day, with lots of time for sewing and knitting. :)

Behold, this is not only yesterday's outfit, it's also three me-made garments - although the grey scarflet is actually my boyfriend's, but it fit so nicely into the color scheme and I wanted to show it off. :) I've already shown you the coral top, but I hemmed it yesterday and also lowered and widened the neckline a bit and made some fabric flowers from scrap fabric for decoration. It works better for layering with the new neckline, and the flowers are only pinned on with hair pins.

The skirt is refashioned from a men's sweater I got at the second hand shop last week. I've seen quite a few skirts similar to this one in the shops and thought the idea was cute and probably rather warm. The waistband is pieced from the sweater's neckband and sleeve ribbing, which looks nice but turned out to be a bit fiddly and rather bulky. It encases an elastic, so I hope the first wash will shrink it a bit and maye lose a bit of the bulk. The red hat, btw, is the one I got in Vienna. I've been wearing it every day for weeks and I'm totally in love with it. I feel like such a 20s girl every time I put it on... ;)

Today's outfit shows that the flowers are indeed detachable. Somehow, I haven't worn my mousy dress in several weeks (which just goes to show that I usually rotate the same three or four outits for weeks on end) but I wanted to try it with the coral and rather like the look. :)

So, apart from the finishing of the top and the flowers, what did I do this week? The scarflet for my b/f and one for me, two finished and one begun small secret projects (knitting), one half-finished secret project (sewing), a skirt alteration for a friend,... hum, this read kind of less impressing than it felt. ;) I will also have to think about which projects to try and finish before I leave for home next Sunday. I should still have a good amount of time for sewing in January, but I know that come mid-February, I'll want to start my spring sewing, no matter how cold it will still be...



13 comments:

  1. permit me to use my powers of suggestion:

    make an etsy shop and fill it with scarflets...make a etsy shop and fill it with scarflets..

    end of suggestive italics.

    three in one outfit, girl?! that is awesome! i hope you get more cutting time, in all areas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely outfit! I hope that the sweater skirt waistband does ease out the bulk in the wash. It sounds like a really cozy skirt. And I love it with the coral skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I love the new little flowers. Good idea to make it separate like that. I'm impressed by your sewing this week - that's a lot to get done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Busy! I just love that top! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Oona! Open and Etsy shop!

    I love that skirt so much that I am off to raid my closet and see if I can make one for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the grey scarflet - I made myself a red one last year which I wear a lot.
    Great skirt refashion. I like the red shirt and detachable flowers...genius idea.
    How annnoying you had to sit with your books for so much of the surgical rotation - I hope your next rotation is more interesting and hands-on. What is it next?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love your skirt from an old jumper! That is absolutely fabulous, thank you for the inspirational idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That skirt is such a good idea! Before I read the text I had kind of guessed that might be what it was, but it looks so good I wasn't sure that is was a repurposed garment. I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the detachable brooches! Great idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your knits - I'm following! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's all the little bits that end up making a very wearable wardrobe like yours! I am especially loving how you are wearing red to brighten up the classic greys.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, lovely. Love the sweater refashion, I've been thinking of doing them lately now that cold weather just wants me in stretchy warm things all the time.

    I enjoyed your last knitting post btw and knowing me, forgot to comment! I wanted to tell you that I've unraveled two thrift store sweaters. Sort of magical. It's been fun to knit too. :) I want to try to make your reading mitts once I have the right needles!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful outfit- what I love about you is your bright colours and bold patterns. The skirts stunning! Well lovinG the scarflet too. I've made 2 as gifts, but kind of want one for me now!

    ReplyDelete