Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Funny Dreams, Sketches and Me-Made-Mittwoch

Have you ever dreamed of meeting other sewing bloggers? Not just daydreaming about being able to jet to London or New York or Edinburgh but real early-morning, soon-it's-time-to-get-up REM sleep dreaming? This is the third time I can remember, that I had a dream like that. Funny, since I never seem to dream about sewing...

Anyway.  My croquis has turned out to be a lot of fun! I made a "sketching version" with grey lines instead of black and sketched out some ideas I've had in the back of my mind for quite a while.
Summer dresses. Because I want sun! The first, as you can see, is Colette's Chantilly, something I've already wanted to make last year, from rose-print cotton. Obstacle: I don't have the pattern. The other two are possibly self-drafted dresses, made from navy needle-dot and irregular dot rayon jersey, respectively.
I was a bit preoccupied with my polka-dot stash, as you can see. I've held onto some heavy-ish navy circle-dot cotton sateen from NZ for over a year. I think it may just be a yard or maybe one and a half. Enough for a simple dress with a peter pan collar, or a sleeveless dress with an A-line skirt? Notice that they all have a midriff band. Yes, I cling to the illusion of waist.
These are the ones with the grey lines. Better, no?
These first two are trying to recreate a dress that my great-grandma would wear frequently. Or was it a two-piece? I can't remember, it's been years. It was grey with small white polka-dots, a white button placket and notched collar. And white welt-pockets. I wonder if that's where I get my polka-dot obsession from...? ;) The next is red-and-white polka-dot jersey and a peter pan collar. Also: separates! A peter pan collared, back-buttoned blouse, possibly based on the Sorbetto. And a navy Kasia skirt.
Two refashioned sundresses in progress (meaning, I've already taken the original garment apart). One from a plaid men's shirt, one from a very ruffly, frilly navy eyelet dress. Also, a New Look 6000. I wonder if I should leave off the sleeves? And another pair of separates. A Jasmine blouse (don't have that pattern yet, either...) with Taffy sleeves, inspired by a blouse Sophie from Leverage wears. Also, pants. Because I do wear them... like 10 days out of a year. Although the blouse might look cuter with a pencil skirt. Or a black Meringue? I'll have to sketch that out...

So yeah, most of these are actual plans, for which I have the fabrics in my stash already. I think I could even make another set of eight, with more stash-busting garments that I have already half planned-out. Um, what does that say about my stash? ;)

Ok, before you fall asleep from my inconsequential ramblings about things-to-sew: a Me-Made-Mittwoch outfit.
Hum. I should possibly wear this dress with color-coordinating tights and longsleeves...

Sun! Yes! Hope you have a wonderful week!


26 comments:

  1. Cute croquis! How do you make "croquis" plural? And yes, I actually HAVE dreamed about meeting other sewing bloggers. Feels awkward, but I guess it makes sense considering how much time I spend reading sewing blogs. :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, I've also been wondering so I looked it up. Both the English and French plural for "croquis" is: "croquis". Good to know. ;) I actually think dreaming about sewing bloggers is kinda funny. And I suspect my blog reading time is about double my sewing time, overall, so that could be it...

      Delete
  2. what an amazing job you have dome with the croquis.
    I too dream of sewing and meet ups, although I was lucky enough to be apart of the Sew Weekly London meet last year, it just leaves you yearning for more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never dreamt about meeting other bloggers, but I do occasionally dream about sewing or knitting! I had a knitting one just the other night, actually.

    Nice work on the croquis! I definitely need to make one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deine Croquis sind super! Sollte mir auch mal welche machen :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I just love your designs! I think you look great in both polka dots and peter pan collars, so it's cool that you have a few here. And you are having fun with the croquis... I have a Fashionary, which has pale figures traced on the page, and you get to draw and colour in your outfits on it just like this. I really love playing about with with it! maybe I should post some of my plans like you....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I've seen those Fashionaries online, they look so cool! I've been thinking about cutting out a few croquis and putting them in the back of my diary/planner, for some random sketching when I'm out and about. Do post your plans, it's fascinating enough to see what you sew, I'd love to see what you come up with in your head! :)

      Delete
  6. I have actually dreamed about meeting other bloggers before. It was kind of crazy. Alas, I've never been to a blogger meet up, but I am all set to meet one of my blogging friends this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your Renfrew -- what a great layering piece in your part of the world. :) I know we're both knit lovers and I'm excited to see that sneak into your future knit projects.

    Most of all, how fun are these croquis! I love the panel with your polka dot dresses -- so flattering on your body and so you! And the plaid men's refashion? Brilliant. I've been wanting something plaid-esque lately but haven't wanted to make it from scratch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Die beiden Kleider nach dem Hauskleid deiner Urgroßmutter sind sooo schön. Nach genau solchem Schnitt suche ich seit Jahren. Bis jetzt habe ich mich aber noch nicht an Vintage Schnittmuster gewagt.
    Wenn du Lust auf ein kleines Bloggertreffen hast, meld dich einfach. Für ne Tasse Kaffee und eine Runde ums Maybachufer bin ich immer zu haben. Liebe Grüße, Ulrike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ich hab auch noch keinen passenden Schnitt gefunden und mir für's Frühjahr jetzt mal vorgenommen, selbst dran zu basteln. Mal sehen wie das wird... ;) Oh ja, Kaffee und Maybachufer klingt gut. Auf jeden Fall, so bald das Wetter wieder ein bisschen netter ist und die ersten Frühlingsstoffe auftauchen!

      Delete
  9. THIS is what I need to do with my croquis! You are so inspiring! I LOVE your version of the Jasmine blouse with Taffy sleeves; paired with the sailor pants it is to die for! I can't use enough exclamation points!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I'm flattered with the use of all the exclamation marks and happy I could inspire you! Um, I stole the Jasmine-with-Taffy-sleeves idea from a TV show, Sophie in Leverage wears something very similar in one of the Season 4 episodes. Including the polka-dots! :) Can't wait to see your croquis sketches!

      Delete
  10. Hallo Alessa,
    tolles MeMade-Kleid. Und ich finde die Skizzen ganz toll. Bin sehr gespannt darauf. Sehe gerade, dass du in Berlin wohnst. Wie ärgerlich, ich war gerade da, aber vielleicht das nächste Mal. Würde mich freuen!

    Liebe Grüße
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Maria!
      Ja, hab von deiner Reise gelesen. :) Nächstes Mal gerne. Im Moment kenne ich noch nicht so viele deutsche/Berliner Bloggerinnen, da ist mir die Idee noch gar nicht in den Sinn gekommen. ;)

      Delete
  11. Great croquis, how do you make them? from a picture? Really inspiring designs too, it gives a much better overview of what look to expect from the finished garment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kalinchen! Yes, you just use a photo (should be with just underwear or close sitting clothing like leggins and a tanktop, and pretty much straight on with the camera about navel height to get the right proportions) and trace it. Either digitally, or put a white sheet over your monitor and copy the outlines. I love that you can see straight away how something will look on your body! :)

      Delete
  12. I love to sketch, it´s something so uplifting and fun about making exciting sewing plans, even if not all will come to life. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh! Those are some cute sketches! I am getting awfully covetous ;-). Can't wait to see them start to pop up on this blog ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great sketches. And very inspiring. I like the idea of recreating your great grandma's dress Look forward ts eeing what you make! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have such an amazing sense of style, Alessa! Love it! And I love your Renfrew top, too. I've ordered a copy for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alessa, I wish I could draw like you! Not only are your outfits super lovely ( particularly your grey spot grandma dress) but the croquis are mini works of art!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely sketches!!! And the dress looks great on you! I´m without sewing projects and I miss them... This week was so busy... I´m feel so tired but next week will be full of sewing projects!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh, I really want to see the sleeveless polka dot dress with the cute contrast collar :) I'll get around to a croquis some day....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your designs are wonderful. I like the dress on you too. It's cool that you take apart other clothes to remodel them into new ones. I wish I could do that. I'm just not able to - as much as I've tried.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your sketches! And to combine the Jasmine blouse with Taffy sleeves is brilliant - I love it. I need to start making my croquis.

    ReplyDelete