Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Piling up

Do you have times when things start piling up around you? And not just the fabrics in your stash or the items in your to-sew list, but the laundry and the dirty cups in the sink and the new blog posts in your reader and the things you've been meaning to do?

Working an official 8.5h day (9h if I count changing time, 10h between leaving home and getting back, if I don't have anything else to do on the way) is a real change of pace from my relaxed student life of a few weeks ago. It isn't even that exhausting, after a couple of days of getting used to the new rhythm of the alarm clock ringing at 6:30 and being on my feet most of the day. I guess I'm just struggling with finding a bit of structure for my free time, and spending almost all daylight hours working is adding to it. Night time is reading-and-computer time for me, so I don't get a lot of things done. But only two more weeks until daylight saving time! :)

So, let me quit complaining. Internship is actually going quite well. :) Paeds is lovely, my direct supervisors are very friendly and my consultant is sarcastic and direct, but nice (and actually quite funny sometimes). I've even had my own little patients this past week (consulting with my supervisor, of course) and I have written my fair share of discharge letters, which makes me feel useful. I'm on the school-age ward for the next seven weeks, but depending on how many kids there are, we also get a few little ones (the most adorable, giggling two year old, yesterday) and even a couple of newborns. Awww. :) Um, yes. I'm also supposed to have a 4 week rotation in neonates. Awwww! :) Anyway.

Piles you might be more interesting in: the new additions to my fabric stash, curtsey of Goldhawk Road and Walthamstow Market.
2m of black jersey, possibly for a dress but more likely a shirt and a pair or two of leggings. 1m of lightweight poly roseprint, for a Pendrell blouse, maybe. 1.5m of awesome, stable polka-dot jersey, for a cardi. And possibly the bodice part of a dress. 1m of see-through polka-dot poly fabric, for a scarf. 1m of black pin-dot cotton lawn, another (Pendrell) blouse. And 1m of black and white striped jersey, probably a top.

Um yes. Do you see a (polka dot) pattern?
Also, some white embroidered cotton lawn, for a summer tunic thing. And 2m of grey polka-dot poly-cotton mix (?), in a striped formation. I thought it might work for my great-grandma dress, even though it's not 100% authentic.

Can you tell I had great fun at the fabric shops? :D I had some more fun at the supermarket as well. Did I ever mention I have a thing for tea?

Though honestly, my thing for pretty things is just as big. Does anybody else buy tea by the prettiness of the packaging?

More things:
1. Using a custom-fit sloper to alter a commercial pattern at My Measuring-Tape - sounds incredibly useful (if only I had a sloper...)

2. Cute reversible bag pattern and tutorial by Verypurpleperson - I'm probably the last to find this, thank you, Maider!
3. How to draft a block/sloper pattern by Madalynne - so I can then use it with commercial patterns, see above, yes?

4. Tilly's One Week, One Pattern challenge from Mar. 24 to Mar. 30. I have no idea yet what pattern to use. Maybe my self-drafted jersey longsleeve? Or is that too boring?
5. A pictorial family history, courtsy of Minnado! :)

6. Dixie's list of bra suppy sources - I've been playing with the idea of bra-making. Have you seen Sarai's amazing bra-slip?

7. Delightfully Tacky's tips for taking outfit photos - she's a style blogger with some really nice pictures, and I've been meaning to put a bit more thought into the photographic presentation of my garments...

And now I'm off to bed, so I won't miss out on beauty sleep! ;) Have a lovely rest of the week!

11 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about this too, since I'm getting into the part of the year where I'm basically full-time with oddball hours, between my seasonal retail job that I wasn't able to find a replacement for and my music teaching. It was already hard for me to find a balance between things like crafting and reading and cleaning, and with a boyfriend in the mix now, I'm not sure yet how it's going to go down!

    That custom-fit sloper for commercial pattern thing does sound incredibly useful! (And hey, I have a sloper on my Check The Technique list, so thanks for the link!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I know the "piling up" feeling! Sometimes I look around me and wonder when my life vomited up on itself! LOL! It sounds like your internship is very rewarding though. You'll find a rhythm - and we're not going anywhere!

    I love your fabrics, it sounds like a great lineup. And thanks for the list of links! I've been toying with doing Tilly's challenge as well, and that first link for using your sloper to adjust fit on a commercial pattern is pure gold! Definitely bookmarking that one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in the same rut. My job is actually more than 40 hours a week, and I have a rough commute. Add that to the fact that I am a youth leader at church and spend lots of time preparing lessons - that leaves me a teeny, tiny window of sewing time. One thing that helps is to make lists - even super short ones. Like today I will sew the button placket to a blouse that I am working on. Tomorrow I will add the sleeves. Baby steps that I can make time for - at the end of the week I won't have a finished garment, but I will be much further along than I had I not set aside just a bit of time each day. Of course this only works when I take the time to make my short lists (usually during lunch).

    I love polka dots, so I am highly anticipating your next sewing projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like your life is incredibly full right now, but wonderful that you are enjoying your work so much! Your new fabrics are lovely, especially that embroidered cotton voile. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are a busy lady!! Your fabric finds are lovely - the polka dots I love, of course, as well as the black and white stripe :) Pretty! I absolutely love tea and have been known to buy it for a pretty package, too. Hee hee!

    If you ever want an international placement, email me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally a sucker for pretty packaging! In fact I have bought tins of cookies, jams, etc. just to get the tin. :)

    That embroidered fabric is just beautiful - I can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel the same way working a full time job and seeming to have very little free time with which to be productive - sewing or chores or whatever! I've started waking up very early some days, just so I can "relax" in front of my laptop to catch up on blogs or plan/start a sewing project. It sounds lame but it has helped me feel more in control of my free time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alessa, take it easy!
    Are you going to play in the One week one pattern challenge? I chose one pattern from Salme, the Minna blouse. I hope, I´m going to have time :-S
    Have a nice week!
    Maider x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sad I wasnt able to see you when you were Walthamstow way. But I can see you bought some of the same fabric I recently used on a make - the black with flowers. It's a really lovely fabric to work with - you're going to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your fabric buying is brilliant! You really have a theme & it made me smile to see how successful you were in Walthamstow :-)
    I wish I didn't work full time .... there's too many other wonderful things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gosh, I've been living like your opening paragraph for at least a month now, I'm fairly certain that today I used the last pair of clean socks and knickers in my drawer and may be walking the wolf in my PJs whilst I wait for the washing machine to do its thing ... once I've dug it out of the detritus of my back room that seems to've piled up from nowhere!

    Glad you're enjoying your internship, it sounds like you're even managing to have fun! Yay! (personally I have a phobia of hospitals, like seriously)

    And I love your fabric choices! I wish I lived in London again *sigh*

    ReplyDelete