Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter Weekend

Hi everyone! Hope you all had a lovely Easter weekend!

Germany seems to be especially lucky in the public holiday department this time of year, as both Good Friday and Easter Monday are bank holidays, so I had enough time for a trip down to my parents for Easter, and we made a little trip to Italy for the weekend! A good choice, too, since it was sleeting in Berlin and we got 10cm of snow overnight at my parents', while we had a sunny 20°C in Italy. :D
We stayed in South Tyrol (Alto Adige) in a little village near Bolzano. It was almost late spring there, the apple trees were in full bloom and even the chestnuts and poppies were already blooming! So pretty!

After a bit of deliberation, I have decided to give my Granny Rooibos to my sister. It fits her way better than it does me, and though I'll miss the lovely polka dots, I'm not sorry about the excuse to make another version this summer. :)
The weekend was lovely, my parents did some golfing and my sister and I began the days in a rather lazy manner. One day, we did some wine tasting in the afternoon, one day we wandered around in Bolzano. I treated myself to a couple of pretty tights, a navy one with flowers and a silvery one with cream polka dots. My mom treated me to another pair with a lacy black pattern. :)
Floral Macaron and new tights, while waiting on golfing parents and knitting
14h spent sitting in a car also went towards some progress in my knitting - my little bolero jacket's bodice is almost finished, and I hope to start on the sleeves on my way back tomorrow.
So, no sewing news but some good progress at knitting. That's good, right? As my first cardi, this is actually going faster than I had anticipated, which is also good. And, seeing as it takes longer and longer to get dark in the evenings now, I might actually manage some sewing... soonish. Possibly not this week, as my drama group is doing another series of performances of our latest production Ajax//Don Quichotte next weekend. And we're visiting my boyfriend's grandparents the weekend after, for a joint 80th/85th birthday party. But sometime after, surely. ;) Especially since I have a good motivation: Me-Made-May '12! Zoe is doing just one me-made challenge this year, and May with its hopefully summery-but-not-too-hot weather seems indeed like the perfect month. So...
'I, Alessa of Farbenfreide, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '12. I endeavour to wear a me-made outfit each day for the duration of May 2012.'

I realize that my pledge is pretty unspecific this time around, but specifying a number of garments in a month where I might just throw on a sundress seems kinda silly. I will try to go for full outfits, though!

So, have a wonderful week and may the weather in your corner of the world be to your satisfaction!

16 comments:

  1. The Rooibos looks great on your sister, and I look forward to seeing what your next one looks like. That cardigan over a little sundress will be perfect for May!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a lovely holiday! Lucky sister to get your Rooibos, too. Your cardigan is looking so pretty! I aim to learn to knit cables this year and I'm working on a feather and fan cardigan now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lovely weekend away! That cardigan looks gorgeous, can't believe its your first of the kind ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a lovely weekend. Warm enough for bare legs? The cardigan looks very pretty. You sound very busy over the next couple of weeks - have fun. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the knitting!Envious of your mini break...we had rain all Easter Monday so a typical English Bank Holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're doing better with your knitting than I am with mine! Mine is stagnant. :) Italy looks beautiful! I went to Alsace for Easter and it snowed on Sunday morning (it didn't stick though). Your new tights look lovely - I love tights. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, your sister is lucky to be given that gorgeous dress :) Sounds like you had a perfectly lovely weekend. We had 35C today! quite warm for this time of year!
    See you in Me Made May!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so very jealous you get Good Friday and Easter off! Unfortunately, I work for a fashion company and work doesn't stop for even the most religious of holidays. It looks like you had a grand time and I'm excited to see your finished cardi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a beautiful holiday! I'm so jealous of the ease of traveling of you Europeans! I wish I could just drive to Italy for a long weekend...14 hours of driving and I'm still in freaking Texas!!

    I can't wait to see that finished bolero! The color is just beautiful!

    And I'll be doing MeMadeMay too!! Hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Italian holiday looks like it was really nice! I do have to admit, I sometimes envy Europeans for so easily being able to hop over to another country. The best I can generally do is another state! (Though that's not saying much, since I live in the second smallest one and it only takes about 15 minutes to do that in some places.)

    The cardigan looks lovely so far-- I like the scallop pattern. And I'm doing MMM this year too, so I guess I'll see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for impromtu holidays and MMM'12! I've nominated you for an award too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your holiday sounds so lovely! Sigh... 14 hours in a car puts me in another state. Or Canada, which is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute pictures!!! What a lucky girl is your sister!!!
    You are an artist with the needles, I love your works.
    Maider

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your photos and updates. Sheesh, I need to teach one of my sisters to sew stat. And your knitting! I just cast off on my first (truly awful) sweater so I'm in awe of your skills. I'm beginning to think I really like knitting...hats. Just hats. And that floral macaron is darling -- I'm sorta wishing I used the fabric with more black contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What lovely pics! That Rooibos is gorgeous & you'll enjoy knowing that your sister is getting lots of pleasure out of it. And- you can make yourself another one ! The knitting though is so impressive - the stitch is lovely & I totally love the colour. Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the bolero you're knitting...you're really a pro. Love South Tyrol...must be great in Spring

    ReplyDelete