Friday, May 4, 2012

Hello Summer!

Is anyone else having the feeling that the year is running by? It's May already, and just in time for MMM the weather has turned summery! This is my favorite time of the year, hands down. End of April and beginning of May is always beautiful in Berlin. The first warm-almost-hot days, the sweet smell of lilac and chestnut blossoms in the air, mixed with the smell of raindrops on hot asphalt and the feeling of naked feet dancing in warm puddles. Green grass between toes.
May 1: Me-made tunic and lacy jersey shorts. I spent May Day on a picknic in the park, eating cupcakes and drinking white wine with friends. Afterwards we found a playground for taking pictures. I thought I'd be a bit more creative with my documentation of MMM this year. 
May 2: Polka-dot jersey dress. My uni is located just a few hundred meters from the Reichstag, so as I was cycling by, I spontaneously decided that it would make a good background. I think I'll try to show you some more sights around Berlin for MMM.
May 3: Floral Macaron, next to a not quite famous sight of Berlin. Actually, not a sight at all, just a war memorial bell on some old cemetary. But it's quite pretty there. :)
May 4: Wild print jersey dress, in front of Charlottenburg Palace. This is about 5 minutes by bike from where I live, and we usually visit the Palace Gardens quite a bit in summer. They also hold concerts in period costumes there sometimes.

I've pledged to wear me-made outfits this month, and so far, the dresses are working out pretty well. ;) I will have to think about my collection of separates, though, as those don't seem to really work well with one another. Apart from all the blue polka-dots, my fabric stash isn't very colour coordinated... Ah well. I think my Colette Spring/Summer palette will also be mostly made up of polka dots. I counted fabrics in my stash, and they will make for 12 summer dresses and at least 6 tops/blouses, and an additional 4-5 dresses or skirts from refashions. Which means I'm trying to refrain from fabric shopping for a while, because all this unrealized potential bugs me! Although if I should trip over some nice navy jersey or cotton lawn with a rose print, I might have to go for a couple of meters!

On a totally different note, I was featured on Craft Corners! They feature crafty blogs every week, and also have lots of cool tutorials on all kind of things, from refinishing wooden tables and really cute pillowcases to how to organize your craft (or sewing) room. Thanks for the feature, guys!
Really cute pillow case
Another exciting thing: I am very close to finishing both my spring cardi and a new dress! May Day on Tuesday and a day off today meant that not only am I now almost caught up on my blog roll, I also had some time to sew! And with nothing at all planned for the weekend (besides choir practice on Sunday, and spending some time in the sun outside, weather permitting), I may even get further in busting my stash! Or maybe posting about my Spring/Summer palette. Or those pictures of my trip to Oxford, now two months ago. Or some other fantastic things that recently happened. And stuff. Talking about fantastic, my internship is going really well, too. After 2 months on the paeds ward, I'm now in paeds A&E and get to see a good number of patients every day (nothing gruesome yet, thankfully). It really is very interesting and sometimes quite amazing, especially seeing so many different parent-child-interactions... :)

Hope you're all doing fine, too! Have a lovely weekend!

17 comments:

  1. I love the "wild jersey print" on you. All of your work looks great but that one is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun photos. I love how colorful your me-made wardrobe is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the looks of it, May is shaping up quite nicely for you. The weather is just as you like, your MMM is going well, you were featured on another blog, and you're almost finished with your cardi. Awesome for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your outfits, you have such a gorgeous and quirky me-made wardrobe, and you are looking so summery! Sounds like a lovely picnic too, mmm, white wine and cupcakes? Save me a seat for next time ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing, if you manage to come up-over, I'll even make the cupcakes of your choice. ;)

      Delete
  5. Yippee! What fun MMM pics! I would so love an MMM Berlin tour - I have always wanted to visit. :) Congratulations on the feature!! I love your Crepe dresses and am totally going to copycat your red polka dot one - hope that's OK :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead, Sarah! I'd love to see your version!

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love your wild print jersey dress and it looks so very nice on you too! I seem to be obsessed by the weather at the moment as ours is so gloomy,dull and cold...summer seems a long way away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those photos! And I'm jealous of the weather! It's still rainy and cold-ish...apparently I need to cross the Rhine. ;) Congrats on being featured on Craft Corners!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm really jealous of your better weather, still cold here in the UK! Love the outfits, especially the top one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your photos! It's so fun to see the scenery. One of my favorite things about MMM. I need to be more creative about where I take pictures instead of my same old spot. I love that macaron!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your summery dresses! Also, that giant bell made me giggle. Wishing for sunshine in rainy England. Happy May! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. They're all great outfits! And I'm a bit jealous of your weather-- we've had some nice days but overall it's been a rollercoaster of temperatures here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pictures Alessa - really fun. As well as admiring your lovely outfits & photo settings I think I am also very jealous that you have summer...you'll see when I eventually post mine that it's more like March here :-(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy wow I love these pictures - what fabulous settings for Me Made photos! I love all of these outfits - so versatile and fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh, we just got a blast of cold, rainy weather, and I want to live in your photos. So fun :) Congrats on the feature, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love these "on location" shots and you are looking so happy in your sunny weather.

    ReplyDelete