Tuesday, May 15, 2012

MMMay Day 10-14

Things are piling up again... actually, I don't think I've managed to wholly clear my to-do list even once in the last 12 weeks, but that's that. I had a lovely weekend visiting my parents and visiting my friend in Zurich and watching her play (a very nice rendition of The Tempest, in which she played the female Prosperoa). Tomorrow I'm on my last day in the A&E, I'm spending my last 4 weeks of paeds rotation in the (N)ICU and Thursday happens to be a public holiday, which is especially lovely since it's also the 10th anniversary of my boyfriend and I being together! So I will have a long weekend and hopefully manage to get a few things done, sewing or otherwise... (Plus celebrating, of course. :D)

So, on with the outfits! Thursday May 10 was warm and sunny, and thinking of the rather long drive I went with comfy jersey: my polka-dot half-circle skirt (made about 2 years ago) and last year's teal jersey top. The top really is a little flimsy and shows every nook and cranny. I have no idea what to make with my leftover fabric. Maybe a more flowy, drapey kind of garment? A shrug, possibly?

May 11: newly me-made grey rose-print dress, from McCalls M6011. The rose-print cotton is one of the fabrics I got at the FIDM scholarship store in LA a while ago, which is a story I love to tell, as I had to take a plane to NZ the same night and didn't make it to the post office before that, so I had about 8 pounds of fabric in my hand luggage... :D
I really like the pattern, it features four pleats along the neckline and some gathering below the bust. Combined with the midriff band and the almost-half-circle-skirt, I think it's very flattering! :) I also managed to omit the zipper after breaking it before I could manage to insert it. But it does fit over my head!
The first pic is for the MMM flickr group Friday challenge of "ugly places". I couldn't not take a picture of beautiful Lake Zurich (including swans and sail boats and a mountain panorama!) while I was there, though, so you get both.
May 12: still in Zurich but the weather turned cold and rainy. This is my coral jersey top, an Ottobre pattern, and my navy linen trousers. Also, no sight of Zurich. We only went out to buy chocolate before leaving. *g*
May 13: Mother's Day was back to sunny, though still cold. These are me-made black leggings and last years Fall Essential green boat-neck tunic. The tunic is made in a rather heavy and not very stretchy knit fabric, and the fit is just a bit looser than is my taste. I'm wondering if it would be possible/a smart idea to rip the side seams and put in bust darts? I'll just have to see... The lilac is the hedge between my parents's house and their neighbours. I so love the smell of lilac...
May 14: back in Berlin and only slightly warmer. I'm not at my most creative on Monday mornings, so it seems I just put on the first comfy thing I find, in this case the wild-print jersey dress (again!). It works well with my spring cardi, of which I haven't managed to take any detail-pics yet, btw. I also didn't manage to find a pretty sight. I wanted to go for the alpakas at the back of the zoo, but they were hiding in their shelter. So you get a slightly idyllic water-under-the-bridge pic.


Sooo, this was the last few days. Hope you're having a good week! I'm off to bed, else I'm going to develop social jetlag...

17 comments:

  1. Bonne Anniversaire! I'm interested in seeing how you made the tunic and the lovely flowered dress, do you mind linking your 'make' posts to things you put up so I can go find those and browse your pattern/fabric use? Have an awesome day and see you 'round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can actually find most of my garments linked to their original post on the "handmade closet" page. Althoug the one for the green tunic isn't very detailed and the detail post for the flower dress is coming up the next couple of days. But the green tunic is basically just a lengthened raglan skirt with a wide boat neck and curved yoke. No pattern used... :D

      Delete
    2. raglan *shirt*, of course.

      Delete
  2. Happy 10th Anniversary!! How wonderful! I adore all of your outfits and will be pinning them to my Pinterest boards for continued inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 10th anniversary!!!
    I love your outfits! But the grey rose-print dress is the most cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your busy life always amazes me as much as your wonderful choice of outfits that are always a joy to see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yet more fantastic backdrops for your photos Alessa!! Very impressed at such a high count of outdoor shots - even with the rain! As always your outfits are so bright, colourful & stylish. The new dress looks really pretty as well ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My place has literally no free wall to take a picture, and I'm trying to spare you my clutter, so I'd rather go out and use a brolly... :D

      Delete
  6. Beautiful outfits again this week! The new spring cardigan looks lovely. Happy 10th anniversary to you and your beau. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy anniversary! And they're all lovely outfits. The green top looks well-fitted in the photos, but I can understand not feeling comfortable with it on. Keep us posted as to what you decide to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tucked it down right before taking the picture, but usually it develops wrinkles along the waist very quickly. But I added darts and took the waist in a little today, and it looks much better!

      Delete
  8. Your grey rose print dress is making me so jealous, it is gorgeous beyond words. So glad you also took a picture wearing it in an equally lovely place with Lake Zurich in the background. Congrats on 10 years with your boyfriend, I hope you had a sweet time celebrating with eachother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. congratulations on the anniversary! enjoy the celebrations. I love that floral dress...it suits you very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the rose print dress and I'm glad you included both an ugly and a pretty picture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy anniversary! We celebrated our tenth last year :) I love your outfit posts and M6011 -- I've overlooked that pattern, but what a lovely full skirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. happy anniversary! I love your new dress and all the sunny pictures.

    ReplyDelete