Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Rose Dress and Spring Cardi


Sooo. I've been trying to be a bit more detailed about my finished garments this year, so before I sit down to write up another MMM post, here's the works about my Rose Dress and Spring Cardi:
The Facts about the Rose Dress:
Fabric: roughly 2m of greyish rose-print cotton... lawn? from the LA FIDM scholarship store, 1$/yard. (I wish I had more reasons to visit...)
Pattern: McCalls M6011
Notions:
lace hem tape (no zipper, as I broke it while trying to shorten it)
Time to Complete: about 4h, with little breaks in between
First Worn:
trip to Zurich
Things I changed: The pattern comes with instructions for a back zipper, which I changed for a side zipper (cutting the back bodice, midriff band and skirt on the fold). I broke the zipper, though, and as it fit over my head without one, I just omitted it.
Thoughts: I like how it turned out a lot, actually. It features two pleats on each side of the neckline as well as gathering under the bust, which makes for a very nice look. I was also astonished that I could make a straight size 12 (especially since my measurements suggested a size 14/16), and didn't even have to shorten the waist. Maybe I should try some more Big 4 patterns?
The Facts about the Spring Cardi:
Yarn: about 250g (5 skeins) of Wolle Rödel Cotton Plus in a denim blue colourway.
Pattern: Horseshoes cardigan by Lien Ngo

Notions: five carved wooden buttons from 4grassdoll Time to Complete: one-and-a-half months
First Worn: MMMay Day 5 (see above)
Things I changed: The pattern is written for a DK weight yarn while mine was more of an Aran weight. I really wanted to use the pattern and yarn together, though, so I figured that maths couldn't go wrong and calculated a new ratio of stitches from the yarns' given gauges. Also shortened the length and lengthened the sleeves - and it worked! :D Math rulez.
Thoughts: It's a very versatile cardi, the colour seems to work with most of my garments and I like the length. The pattern was also very easy to memorize, so knitting it up took less time than I feared. I also love lace patterns! Pretty, fast to knit and they take up surprisingly little yarn!
 Hope you're having a wonderful day, wherever you are!

10 comments:

  1. I love the rose dress, it is such pretty fabric and a lovely shape. The cardigan is very cute too. It looks so versatile. I am having agood day so far.. I have a newly sewn top on and the sun has come out! What more can I want?? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! Big 4 patterns put so much ease in. I can usually go down a size unless it's something that's fitted around the hips. Love that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay math! :) I am knitting up a lace piece right now and the pattern is so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both these new additions to your handmade closet! I even downloaded the cardigan pattern and as soon as I figure out charted lace, I'll make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it always shocks me when peeps can do away with the zipper... it seems like magic...

    i love that rose print dress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fit is perfect, and you look so lovely in both garments! Your sweater photo & outfit is just divine!

    I've been coming around to the big 4 lately, too. I'm all for indie pretty much everything, but the last two big 4 patterns I made were much more straightforward than expected.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are both fantastic. I bet the cardi goes with half your wardrobe. And the roses dress is divine too, I'm amazed that you can get in without a zip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That rose print dress is divine! I love the print of the fabric and all of those lovely flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your rose dress is just lovely! And I'm very jealous of your ability to knit lace, I'm slowly conquering more fancy crochet stitches but am hopeless at following patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love both the dress and the sweater. Your modifications to the sweater make it the perfect layering piece with a dress. I love how it looks with your dress in the outfit post.

    ReplyDelete