Thursday, August 16, 2012

Beautiful Things

I almost don't want to write this (or at least formulate it some other way) as it seems quite shallow to be happy about things... But some really beautiful items have found their way into my life in the last couple of months, some by sheer luck and others by delightful people, so I thought I'd share with you my happiness about them. :)

Maybe I'll start with something sewing-related first. A month or two ago, there was an Art&Textiles exhibition here in Berlin. I'd never been there before, it seemed rather low-key, situated in a school, and I actually only went because of the proclaimed flea market, where I got the beautiful goods below: a short length of perfect yellow-flowered seersucker and some extremely cute (if rather expensive) buttons, some of them probably vintage (see the ones with the rose print? and some with polka dots!). It was pretty exciting though, with lots of artists and crafters, some beautiful textile wall art... Sadly, photography wasn't allowed...
Then there's something my boyfriend came home with a little while ago, just because. He really does know me very well...
It's a book-shaped box of buttons and a little sewing necessaire by Cath Kidston. So cute! The item I've already used most is actually the measuring tape, since it has centimeters on one side and inches on the other - so handy for sewing with American patterns!

Another gift my boyfriend came home with actually brought me to tears (there may have been hormones involved though... *cough* pms *cough*). We'd walked by an antiquarian a couple of weeks earlier and I had admired this cute, rose and gold printed tea cup set.
He meant to give it to me for my birthday, but used it as a cheering-up gift instead when I was feeling down one day. And then we went helicopter flying for my birthday. Don't I have the most amazing boyfriend, ever???

Also, some amazing fabric I found, two lengths of soft, drapey rayon print. In a department store! I really need to go back there sometime soon... I'm thinking a dress with a bodice in the torquoise and a half-circle skirt in the rose-print. And maybe I'll also manage to make a kimono-sleeved blouse from the remaining torquoise fabric...
And did I mention that my family gave me a dress form for my birthday? It finally arrived and it's so beautiful!
I decided to call her Lily (on a total whim, since the fabric cover is actually a rose print). As I haven't been sewing, I haven't used her yet, but I'm totally looking forward to the new fitting experience, and maybe doing some draping! I'll have to see how well it goes, all measurements except for the waist are spot on (that one is 5cm too small). If it doesn't work out, maybe I can add a stuffed belt-thingy to the waist...

Last but not least, I've done a bit of flea-market shopping. Don't you just love flea-markets? The ones in Berlin are very varied, some almost exclusively consisting of professional sellers of knicknacks (not a big fan of those, as they seldomly have cute stuff and if so, it's mostly expensive) but there's one on every 1st and 3rd Sunday that is half craft market and half flea market. The most awesome find I made a few weeks ago: a little golden wind-up watch that can hang on a necklace. It's really only an inch in diameter, and entirely perfect. :D Just as special is the gold chain, which was gifted to me by my grandma. :)
The earrings are from a craft table, new but apparently made from vintage cabachons. So pretty! I'm also in love with my new cupcake stamp. The fabric is a rayon jersey top that I found only last week, but almost haven't wanted to take off since then.

So, that's my beautiful things for today. What is currently making you happy?

14 comments:

  1. I don't think it's shallow to be happy about things. It's shallow if the only thing that makes you happy is things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie Lynn says it well :)
    All the less shallow because some of the things were gifts from lovely people or reminders of nice experiences. Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love getting gifts too especially when they are spot on like those your boyfriend gave you! So sweet. The dress form is great... Nice to have around just as decoration. The turquoise dress you have in mind will be great for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes things make me happy too :) Actually, most of the time! Stephanie is right on the mark with her comment. I found a gorgeous vintage haberdashery shop near me the other day, and just thinking about it makes me swoon. I just love how your dress form is floral - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the other commenters. Things can make you happy and that isn't shallow. It is if you value things over humanity that you are shallow. I love the button boxes. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of your goodies are lovely! (And bonus points to you BF for coming up with so many of them!)
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of these things are soo so beautiful! and how lovely that your boyfriend and your family knows your tastes so well :) Lily the dress form is truly fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your appreciation for these small pleasures demonstrates the exact opposite of shallowness - an intentional, thoughtful approach to beauty, your personal aesthetic, and defining what holds "value" in your own life! Also ... it doesn't hurt that they ARE really beautiful. Love what you curated!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous items and deliciously in-tune sounding boyfriend...but then again you are worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Material culture is an inherent part of being human I think. It can be a wonderful outlet for creativity and a way to emotionally connect with people (like your teacup)! You're taking pleasure in the little things in life; that's a good thing.

    I love all the cards on the door behind Lily, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous goodies!!! I also love buttons, they´re one of the most cute things ever.
    My brother is in Berlin during this August, and I asked him about fabrics stores there, but he doesn´t know where he can buy fabric...(if you tell him about biergarten, he knows!!! ha, ha,ha...)
    Can you recommend me any shop to make an order to my brother?
    Thanks Alessa!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My take on it is that when I really appreciate a thing, not just because it's shiny and new, but for the properties I love about it (which usually includes being well made) it actually encourages me to take care of, and buy less cheap disposable stuff. It's a real pleasure when the things that surround me are things I enjoy using and seeing every day. And, seeing something beautiful, especially fabric or supplies, can really lift my mood! I love being around things that remind me of how clever and careful humans can be, when we put our minds to it. Some of my favorite things are kitchen tools, and a tiny vintage sewing kit inside a metal tube which my aunt gave me, I still don't think she knows how awesome that thing is!

    ReplyDelete
  13. All of your goodies are delightful! Your boyfriend is very smart and knows you very well - bravo to him!

    ReplyDelete