Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Oh, look! Stripes!

Can you believe that my second term of internship is already over? I saved up some study days, so I have this week free, but after that, my third and last term is starting, and as it's even shorter than the others (12 weeks instead of 16, as I've been saving my 20 days of leave to have more time for studying) - I'll be finished by Christmas. Crazy, huh? 100 days of intensive studying later, It'll be written board exams for me, and oral board about 6 weeks later, and then I'm officially a doctor. Weird and kinda scary.

Ah well.

What with a totally free Saturday (bf is at his parents and flying on family holiday for 2 weeks, without me as I got the time off on very short notice) - sewing time!
The pattern is one I've used before, Ottobre 05/2008-14, a simple raglan-sleeved tee, although this time around, I lowered the neckline by a couple of centimeters and added a bit of width for a gathered neckline detail. The fabric is actually thinly striped, not light pink, and bought on a whim when we got the fabrics for the baby blanket, in August.
All things considered, I'm rather pleased with the look and fit, and very happy that the neckline gathers worked out. It's one of my favorite details on a favorite shirt, and I'm pretty sure, more tops in this style will follow! :D
It did remind me that I'm missing some me-mades in my wardrobe, though. I have next to no me-made skirts! Can you believe that? I've had some navy twill, destinied to be a little skirt, for ages, and almost set to make one yesterday, when I found that I only own two skirt patterns. The free Burdastyle Kasia skirt (which is highwaisted, a look I since learned doesn't go well with my figure) and the Colette Meringue. What I really want, though, is something along the line of Simplicity 2451 (of So...Zo and Scruffy Badger fame), but Simplicity patterns being rather expensive over here, I've decided to franken-pattern the Meringue. Which will take a little more time, but there you have it. I happen to have some this week. :)
The leftover scraps made a nice pair of knickers, too, and would have made a second, if I hadn't been silly and cut out three left front pieces instead of a left front, and a right front and back, respectively. How I did that? No idea. Ah well...

15 comments:

  1. Super sweet top, and the gathering is a lovely detail. Wow, you are nearly a qualified doctor....that is amazing! And impressive....takes a lot of hard work, nearly there now !
    And I too have done that with pants in the past....cut out three of one and one of the other. Obviously very confusing, even for near doctors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I love a tiny stripe like this. And congrats, almost-doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I have a soft spot for stripey tops. Wow! Congratulations on becoming a doctor very soon! If you're interested in a Cardiology fellowship, you know who to call!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? No polka dots? You must be running a fever and best call a doctor (hee , hee). The shirt looks super cute and comfy - I bet it becomes a favourite in no time. Looking forward to seeing that new skIrt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the knickers! What a genius use of fabric. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute cute cute stripes :) 12 more weeks! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute Tshirt, and even cuter knickers!! I love the stripes with the lace :)
    I wish you all the best of good luck with your study and upcoming exams!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats!! And good luck on your last term! It's great you have a little sewing time before it starts - hope it's a refreshing & creative break.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!!! Soon a Doctor, very well!!!!
    I love your new striped top, the gathered detail is my favourite part. I fall in love with your cute knickers, in my 2013 sewing list I will note a pair of knickers, sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the red and white striped fabric; and that t-shirt style with the gathers in front is one of my favorites. I'm like everybody else, I adore those knickers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That´s a lovely fabric and you´ve used it well. Nice! :-) A little tip on Simplicity patterns (and other american ones), sewingpatterns.com ship to Europe, with not completely crazy expensive shipping, and they have the same offers as in the US. Currently they have a $4.99 sale on Simplicity patterns! :-) Another interesting thing I see Simplicity do, is to release some of their patterns in a magazine, and that mag is in German! We get it here too, and I have bought it a couple of times. It´s like Burda though, so you have to trace, but it´s interesting that they do it that way with patterns they usually release one at a time.

    Exciting times for you this fall, good luck on your finals!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here in the Netherlands 2451 was in a magazine called Simplicity naaimode, I believe in Germany it is called 'meine nahmode'. It was in the winter edition of last year, here it was issue 4. Maybe you can see if you can still get that magazine somewhere? I already made 3 of the skirts, it really is a great pattern.

    Love your shirt! The gathers look pretty too, how did you add them to the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I can't believe how close you are to becoming a doctor! What a crazy, intense period! The shirt is so lovely, the gathers and scoop neck are a really nice combo. Funny - inspired by Scruffy Badger, I also went and got the Simplicity 2451 with plans to make some skirts (I've already made one in mustard linen that I have yet to post about ... it IS everything it promises to be). If I hadn't been too lazy to trace I would send you the pattern, but alas I cut into it :-(. Though it sounds like you've got some good options! If you can't track it down, I'll keep a look out for when Joanns has their $0.99 Simplicity sales and pick you up a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the jersey top and the gathers are a pretty touch - great fabric too. Like the others I am amazed it's so close to you becoming a qualified doctor - what exciting times for you! I am going to check out simplicity 2451 for a closer look. :)I wonder if it is cheaper for me to get you the simplicity pattern in the UK and post to you? Will have a check. xx

    ReplyDelete