Sunday, December 16, 2012

December Days

Oh how lovely, a Sunday with nothing much to do. :) I already had a wonderful breakfast with my parents, who came to Berlin over the weekend to listen to my choir concert last Thursday. We also had a Christmas party with our combined friends (drinking yummy Feuerzangenbowle, which by the way I wrote a guest post about over at Rhinestones&Telephones!). And the best thing: it's still light outside, and will be for a few more hours, so I may finally be able to sew a bit, which I haven't done in weeks, even though I had three garments on my to-sew-for-Christmas list.
fabric for Holiday garments: red and green corduroy and torquoise cotton sateen

I even already traced the pattern. Yay!

I also finally caved in and bought a rotary cutter and cutting mat for more efficient cutting. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm soo looking forward to less hassle while cutting lining fabrics! I may be able to cut them on grain for the first time! Yay!
I haven't done much knitting either - I'm kinda missing the long commute to my last internship, which made for much productive knitting, even though I'm very happy about being home earlier! I started something new, though, a cute pattern in colourwork. My first.
I've already made a few beginner's mistakes: I think it would have been smart to use a larger needle size than recommended on the yarn, because I have the tendency to not stretch the stitches enough when changing colours. I also didn't  know about keeping the background colour in the back (yarn dominance) for the first half of it. And another singer from my choir showed me how to knit with one colour on each of my hands, which still feels very awkward but is kinda cool! I'll tell you more about my adventures in colourwork knitting soon. :)

I hope you have a lovely Holiday time!

9 comments:

  1. I love the colorwork project that you started! I learned many years ago how to knit holding one color in each hand, but I've only done it probably twice since then. I need to get back on the horse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spy a Parfait! Which fabric are you making it in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A corduroy Parfait?! How fab! I need to make one for me, too :) I love your knitting - so pretty! Merry Christmas, Alessa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One color in each hand is definitely the way to go. If you have any other colorwork questions I'd be glad to help! That rum punch stuff looks pretty fantastic . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your colourwork knitting in progress!!!
    That torquoise cotton sateen is going to be lovely in a garment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. IRecently 've also learnt how to knit holding each color in different hand: how cool is that! I love that your Christmas crafting is bursting with color! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it great when your to-do list is not full to the max and you can enjoy the day a little bit. Especially on a Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fabrics look lovely...I am intrigued to see what you make. Love the knitting too. The rotary cutter and mat are great, i want them too:) xx

    ReplyDelete