Saturday, December 29, 2012

Looking back on 2012

Hi everyone! :) Did you have good Holidays? Mine were lovely, if - as always - packed with visiting various parts of the extended family. I did enjoy a veritable mount of delicious food and wine, and the opportunity to see people I hadn't met in a while, both family and old friends and acquaintances from school. I also got to see my four-month-old little half-sister for the first time!

And I finished my Christmas dress just in time to wear on Christmas Eve, hand-stitching the hem an hour before dinner started. Better photos and more details soon!
the christmas dress: a parfait in red corduroy. it's still missing the pockets.
So I took some time today to look back on my sewing this year, and I have to say, I did way better than I thought in review. :) I thought I worked so much, I hardly had time for either sewing or blogging, but I actually sewed twenty garments, twelve of them dresses, one of them refashioned, and one bag and also knitted six items (two pairs of socks, one cardi and three hats). And I finished at least one project, either knitted or sewn, every month!
winter rooibos made in january - one of my favorite winter dresses
long-sleeved macaron made in january - truly comfy and worn lots
I also averaged a blog post every 8.7 days, and while I would prefer about 1-2 per week, that's nothing to sneeze at. (I'm very impressed that some of you blog 4-6 times a week, even while being mothers and/or working fulltime jobs - how do you do that, ladies?!)
polka-dot jersey dress made in march

strawberry-and-jersey macaron made in may - I love it!
I do regret that I didn't have a lot of time to take part in the community that is us fabulous sewing ladies, though. While I did participate in OWOP, the Pyjama Party and Me-Made May on my blog, I didn't take part in the respective buzz on flickr, I totally missed all of the Colette sew-alongs and others I'd have liked to take part in, and I'm very conscious of the fact that I have let my reader get to 400+ blog posts time and again, and have been really bad at commenting and answering my comments. Oh well, that's life sometimes, right?
striped jersey dress, made in may - my most worn summer dress!
My resolutions for the new year definitely include trying to find a way to better include both sewing and blogging/reading into a workday. The first will definitely be easier, as I now have a dedicated sewing space! I also want to try and break down my sewing process into little chunks before I start, as right now I'm more likely to sew a dress in three to four sittings of 3-4h each (1. tracing, 2. cutting, 3. sewing, 4. the-little-things a.k.a zipper, buttons, hem etc.).
minnie dress, made in august - colorful and comfy!
I'd also like to take a shot a finishing my countless UFOs (there's at least four dresses, two skirts and a top already partly cut out) and continue chipping away at my stash. I love and am excited by new fabric, but all the unrealized potential hidden in my stash almost makes me sad sometimes! Plus, with our new (bigger and more expensive) apartment, there will be less spending money until I've completed my education and found a job (hopefully in August), so using my stash for most of my projects will be essential.
striped top made in september - a wardrobe gap filler :)
For now, I will have to cope with organizing my days into study-time and breaks. I finished my last day of surgical internship before Christmas (woohoo!), so now it's revising everything I've ever learned (and everything I've missed until now) for written board exams in April, and orals in June. I'm partly excited and partly full of dread! - but I'll be sure to schedule breaks for sewing and outdoor-time and sports and friends and healthy eating, to survive all that cramming-knowledge-into-my-head. *g*

So how did the holidays treat you? Did you have a good time? What's your view on the last year? Are you also heading for great changes in the new one?

15 comments:

  1. You've been so crazy busy! I always feel like I have no sewing time until I read blogs like yours and feel lame-oh because I have a lot more free time than most people. I just have my own sewing pace and need to work with it, I guess.
    Here's to another amazing year of sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisette! :) Honestly, it sounds worse than it is. My real problem is time management!

      Delete
  2. Wow, you've made so many lovely things this year and you managed to fit it into such a busy schedule! That's so impressive! I love your 2013 resolutions and I wish you all the best with them. I hope you show us your new sewing space soon!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have made a lot of nice clothes. I love the red Parfait on you, it's very flattering. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all these clothes, congrats on a great 2012 of sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a year! That red corduroy Parfait looks scrumptuous. I know I've said this before but I really do love your style, all your garments are so cohesive yet unique and beautiful, and they all work so well with your lifestyle, too.

    Thank you for the comment on my blog, by the way. That totally made my day!

    Here's to a great 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've made some beautiful things; congratulations on a great year! I just adore that blue and white polka dot dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Waiting for more detail of your Christmas Eve´s dress, it looks great!!!
    You have made beautifull garments this year.
    It´s hard to find time to sew and to blog in our life, but when you find it it´s so gratefull!!
    Happy new year Alessa!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Considering that you are studying to become a DOCTOR, I am so impressed that you made so many garments! I love everything you've made - your style is so cool! - and I am really thinking about a corduroy Parfait for me, too. I'm such a copycat - LOL!

    Good luck with revisions and your exams. I know you'll be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy new year alessa!!! That is one super festive parfait, I love it and I bet you'll wear it loads this season....it's great to see all your fave makes as I so enjoy your bright spotty style. I know what you mean about the time it takes to blog and participate.... ( But you have such a lot going on too!!) Would love to have more hours in the day to do everything !

    ReplyDelete
  10. The new Christmas dress looks cute! And very cozy, with the corduroy. It looks like you had a great year as far as making stuff!

    I definitely hear you on the blogging/community participation. I definitely feel like there's some sewalongs that I would have loved to have taken part in, but it just didn't work out this time, aside from the Summer Essentials remix. I'm hoping that maybe there will be some great sewalong in the fall that I can jump in on, once I'm past the wedding dress and settled into the new place! (Also, my reader feed is currently hovering around 200, if that makes you feel any better.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your creations this year, Alessa, so many pretty dresses. The Christmas parfait looks gorgeous too. I echo you about not joining in on many of the sew a longs or flickr activity etc, I have to be so limited with what I commit to at the moment. Good luck with all the studying, and Happy new Year! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! twenty garments in one year! That's impressive. I hope 2013 brings you even more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love your bright and colorful style, Alessa! you make wearing dresses seem effortless and fun. i think you have some very reasonable goals for this year and don't stress about blog readers piling up. i've completely given up on staying on top of my reader. i'll take a few hours out of my week and go read everything in one big chunk and knock it all out at once. it may mean i'm a little late in reading but it's easier and less stressful thank reading blogs everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love to see all your colorful and fabulous makings all at once. So many bright and pretty dresses! Good luck in 2013, looking forward to seeing what you´re up to. :-)

    ReplyDelete