Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Christmas Dress

This year already feels very productive. I'm keeping to my revision schedule, while still managing to have a social life, my blog reader has been un-clogged and I've already started to tackle both my UFO pile and stash! Two finished items and it's only the third week of the year! First I'd like to tell you about my Christmas dress, though. I originally wanted to make a pleated skirt with suspenders for Christmas, out of some lovely teal cotton sateen, but lacking a pattern and the time to draft one, I went with the Parfait in red corduroy.
The Facts:
Fabric: about 1.5m or red corduroy (about 10€/m) and a similar amount of dark blue rayon lining (about 3€/m), from Holland Fabric Market.
Pattern: Colette Parfait, Size 10
Notions: a 40cm red invisible zipper and three pairs of miscellaneous red buttons from my stash
Time to Complete: about five sittings of 2-4h - I never quite keep track
First Worn: Christmas Eve
Thoughts: With my bust size being an 8, hips a 10 and my waist being a size 12, I traced a size 10 and hoped for the best. It fits nicely in the waist and hips, but even taking it in about 1 cm on both side seams (after making a bodice muslin! go me!), it's still a bit big in the bust. I'll have to go down a size in my next version, I think. Apart from that, I'm well pleased with the look and fit, although the bodice gathering would probably look nicer in a less bulky fabric. I fully lined the dress for a little extra warmth, and so it doesn't stick to my tights. The contrast between the blue and red is very pretty, I think.
I used three different sets of buttons for the dress, just for fun. I was a bit afraid of making the button holes, since I had only ever done them once, and with a different machine. It worked out fine, though. Just following the instructions in the manual, they were done in a thrice. Seems my fear was misplaced. :D
I actually only finished the pockets today, so no pictures of those yet, as it has been to dark to take decent ones. Can you believe the sun has only peeked out twice since the beginning of the new year? Berlin is such a cloud magnet in winter... I originally wanted to take some outdoor pics with the dress, but after an incredibly mild Christmas and New Year's (like, double-digits!), it has started snowing and freezing again, so even on the one lovely, clear day I just couldn't face taking off my coat - or even opening it! Luckily, living on the 4th floor our living room and home office catch some nice afternoon light if it's clear, so I managed some pics in natural lighting after all.

There is some fabric left, which I hope will be enough for a little skirt one of these days. And the green corduroy, which was originally marked for a duplicate Parfait? I think it's going to be a Rooibos instead. I definitely want to make another Parfait (yay for duplicates and triplicates!), probably even another winter-weight one, but I think a nice wool or flannel might work better with the gathers.

Soo, two finished projects coming up, and I need to think about which UFO to tackle next. I'm thinking I might alternate finishing a UFO and starting something new from my stash, for the forseeable future. I also need to take a hard look at my stash and think about which pieces I want to use and which ones just don't excite me anymore. Would anyone maybe be up for a little fabric swap?

16 comments:

  1. Oh, lovely! I like the fact that you lined it in a contrasting colour. You say you used only about 1.5 metres... was that 60" fabric? I ask because I have some stashed fabric I wanted to use for this dress but I didn't think it was enough... your assessment of only 1.5 metres gives me hope I’ll have enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea! I had actually bought 2m of the corduroy, but as I said, there is some left. I just went to measure it, the original fabric was 144cm by 200cm, but I'm not sure if a length of 1.5m is going to be enough, because my leftover piece has an irregular size. Of the 2m, there are about 70cm left on most of the width, but for 40cm of the width there are only 30cm left. Does that make sense? So 1.7m of a 1.4m wide fabric should work, I think.

      Delete
  2. Oooh!! I just love this dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the red corduroy! And the blue lining looks so lovely against the red, great choice. Thanks also for the heads up on the fitting issues. I have this pattern in my stash and my measurements find themselves in a similar arrangement on the Colette scale (bust too small, hips too big), so I'll have to look out for that when I finally make this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so cheerful and warm! This style really suits you to a T!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a knock out! The colour is awesome, such a bright and warm shade if red, perfectly wintry. And knowing that it's corduroy and has that lining inside conjures up how lovely it must feel. Gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a beautiful red! I love the contrast lining with it too. Our winter has been super mild too and then this week it got colder (but not quite Berlin cold!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute dress Alessa!! I love the colours in contrast!!!
    I´ve just made a fabric swap with other blogger, and my stash is slightly empty...I have to go shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous dress - love the red and I like it teamed with the baseball boots :) I am glad you got over the Buttonhole Fear! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that blue lining. You'd look like Wonderwoman if you wore it inside out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *lol* I need to try that! ;) Maybe for carnival...

      Delete
  10. Looks great! I wouldn't generally think to combine red with blue like that, but it really makes the body of the dress pop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too will jump on the "love your color combination!" bandwagon. Your dress looks so cheerful and cozy and, again, so very you. I have been racking my brains to see if I have any fabrics that are Alessa-esque and therefore worthy of a swap, but I must say --- I seem to be lacking in pretty reds, aquas, florals, stripes, polka dots, coral and navy ... what's up with that??? So I will just covet your handmade wardrobe from a distance :-).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, this is fab! I do love red and I think this looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So lovely Alessa. You inspired me to make a Christmas dress too next Christmas!

    ReplyDelete