Saturday, January 26, 2013

Dinosaurs and other pledges

You've probably heard about Cation's stash busting project, right? I mean, it features a dinosaur! Um, Sewasaurus rex, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, stash busting and realizing all those little sewing-dreams that accompany fabric buying (and getting rid of the pieces that just don't inspire me any more), is one of my really big goals this year, so I decided to tackle the challenge and sew along:

I, Alessa of Farbenfreude, commit to using as many pieces of stash fabric as I manage in 2013, making at least three in four makes from fabrics already in my stash. I also commit to only buy one new length of fabric for every three finished stash-busting projects until my birthday in July.

There's some monthly mini-challenges, too, which I might enter (I've already cut out three little somethings for January's Scrap Busting), but mostly it's sewing from stash, and for the first few weeks I'm also trying to alternate finishing a UFO with starting (and finishing) a new project. More about that soon (as I actually now have two finished UFOs and one stashbust to blog about).

This is what I definitely want to use: six fabrics for dresses, three of them jersey, eight jersey tops (and there might be a few blouses, too), two skirts (one in red, one in green corduroy). This mostly includes my rest-of-winter and spring sewing, there will be some more come summer.

I've also decided to take the Seamless Pledge.

Wow, that was easier than I thought.

Actually, I've been thinking about it for a while, but I was reluctant to be so formal about it, and what if I saw the perfect garment and couldn't buy it without breaking the pledge? But honestly, I think I bought my last garments (a cheap H&M jersey dress, a polka-dot cardi and a pair of wooly knee socks) almost exactly a year ago, because they were on sale, and while I've been window shopping more or less regularly in between, I haven't seen a garment that has seriously tempted me to buy it since then. Not one. (Except for tights, which I regularly buy, especially if they have cute patterns.) So, why not, right? For now, I will commit until the end of my studies, since I'm not quite sure if my wardrobe is up to life as a doctor. Probably yes (most probably, I'll be wearing scrubs), but I'll reserve judgment for now and maybe extend to the full year after that.

I, Alessa, am taking the #seamlesspledge until at least finishing my studies this summer, but possibly for a full year, until Jan. 25, 2014. http://bit.ly/tktV04

The rules

  1. No buying new clothes for the duration of your pledge. By new, I mean any new mass-manufactured clothes.
  2. You can buy second-hand manufactured clothes – so be prepared to get to know your local charity shops awfully well.
  3. Vintage clothing is a-ok!
  4. Anything you’ve made by hand is definitely allowed. Get your sewing machines and your knitting needles out, because handmade is definitely in!

  So, do you have any great plans for the year?

7 comments:

  1. Looks exciting! Love the fabrics you've pulled. Me, I tend to freak out at the thought of making plans and publishing them online, so I've got some stacks and ideas in my brain, but am nurturing my inner commitment phobe by playing coy ;-) ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got a lovely fabric stash there just waiting to be sewn up! :) Bring on the stash busting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very tough commitment but I am sure you'll be strong :) My biggest plan for this year is a non-selfish project (either sewing or knitting).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck in your pledges Alessa!! I have confidence you can do it, I mean with a stash like yours with all those pretty colours, you've got plenty to get stuck into, and we all know bought clothing will not compare with the cute things you make :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your stash is so beautiful! You've got a definite colour scheme going on, of turquoises, reds and blues... It's going to make a really cohesive and "you" seamless wardrobe! Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, I love the dinosaur costume graphic! Congrats to you for both pledges, they are really worthy goals! I have similar aspirations to use stash fabric this year, but I haven't put an official pledge on it . . . yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such a lovely range of jewel-like colours in your stash, and I know you will make some really cute things to wear :)

    ReplyDelete