Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Shades of Ocean - More FFOs

Did I mention I thought I was rather a prolific seamstress in January? Apart from Lola, the dress-to-skirt refashion and three scrap-busting undies, there were two more UFOs I managed to finish last month. Both had already been cut out but never stitched.

The first is another version of Ottobre 05/2008-14, a raglan-sleeved top I had cut out a year and a half ago. Don't ask why I never stitched it, I have no idea. Possibly because I thought I didn't like the fabric after making up the first, coral one, but while they came from the same lot of coupons, this sea-green version feels a bit heftier, stretchier and nicer to me. Or it may just be the fact that I added some gathering to the neckline, and lowered it by a couple of centimeters, same as I did for Strawberry Stripes.
This is my balcony, btw. I can't wait for spring, and flowers.
It isn't really anything special, but it's a nice basic longsleeve in a colour I like. Especially combined with dark navy. I think it might see a lot of wear, as soon as the weather is warm enough. The neckline is finished with a band, and both sleeves and hem are turned under and zigzagged.
This is my red sofa. Being able to switch up inside photo locations is fun!
Finally Finished Object No. 2 is a dress I started on before moving last November, and didn't manage to finish. Shell and bodice lining were already cut out, it was just missing the skirt lining and stitching.
This is how I go out in winter, if it isn't too cold. Knee-high boots with knee-high wooly socks, termal tights, and a vest and longsleeve under the dress, plus down coat.
It's another version of McCalls M6011, same as my Rose dress, and a perfect dress for someone as full- and short-waisted as me. I look like I actually have a waist and cleavage. ;)
My new bookshelf! I love how big it is! Also: Kumquat tree.
The fabrics are both rayon, bought at a nearby department store for about 10€/m. There's still some left, I wonder what to make with it?
The construction of the dress was pretty straightforward, although since I lined it, I used a couple of extra steps, like the roll-up move to attach the lining to the armholes (like explained in the Colette Rooibos booklet, the original instructions have you do it by hand) and sandwiching the bodice and lining between the midriff shell and lining (as explained in the Colette Parfait booklet - although for this step I always forget not to sew all the way to the end, to be able to close the side seams afterwards...).
It makes for a nicely finished inside, anyway. The one thing I messed up was buying a zipper that was too short. Memo to myself: 20 cm isn't enough for a side zip. 25 cm might be ok, but not 20. The result of which is that while getting it on and zipping it up is fine, getting it off means some serious wiggling.
Also, I must have messed up the front bodice length somehow. It didn't want to match at all! But nobody ever looks at the sides of dresses. And you won't tell, will you?

:)

I don't have anything to show for February, yet, although I did some mending for my boyfriend. Attached 5 buttons to 3 pairs of trousers, and exchanged one front fly. That was an adventure... I have at least two more dresses planned for this month, though. Time to get started!

15 comments:

  1. The combination of fabrics on the dress is so pretty! I haven't loved McCalls patterns the last couple of years, but ones like this are slowly improving my view of them. It's definitely tough being full and short. It's less of a problem now that I've lost weight, thank goodness, but I remember a lot of fussing over fit. Has your pattern shown up yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the two fabrics in your new dress, and it is such a gorgeous silhouette on you! And your new Tshirt is a terrific colour too :) Has it got a little button at the front, or is it a brooch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love your dress! The fabric combination is fabulous and I'm super jealous of your ability to find rayon locally. Stores where I live never have rayon. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet dress alessa!!! Really love the dual fabrics and how pretty they look together. Really suits you and fab that you have your solution to wearing pretty ( sleeveless) dresses in the snow!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute colour combination!! I love the picture with the coat, outside there is snow and inside you are plenty of flowers. Lovely dress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are both beautiful! I love the detail polka dot combined with the floral fabric. Those are great colors and silhouettes on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice combo-that style really suits you too. I haven't sewn McCalls in years-too much ease and inconsistent sizing makes it a pain so I gave up on 'em. This is one their hits though I guess (although I'm suspicious that it was you that made it look so awesome-inspite of the pattern drafters rather than because of them). XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such pretty makes! I love the fabric choices you´ve made, and the layering of the dress in the winter. Nice!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The top and the dress are both very pretty! The top in particular looks like it will be quite versatile, and I'm a big fan of bright colors in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, I especially love the dress. The combination of the floral fabric and the tiny polka dots is perfect - I love when a dress combines two prints like that. You also managed a great fit, the dress is positively flattering on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous, as always! That dress is so lovely, I never would have thought to pair those fabrics together, but it works! The long sleeved tee looks like it will get a lot of wear - I know I'd wear it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute! I love boots, tights and socks in the winter too - one of my favorite ways to keep warm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This green jade is the color of the year according to Pantone! maybe you secretly knew this! I love the neckline finish on the ottobre top.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh, gorgeous dress Alessa and the green top looks great, very wearable too. I love the red sofa and red table.xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful dress! i love the solid on top and print on bottom and it looks like it fits really well. and your top is probably going to get a lot of wear. i like the neckline gathers.

    ReplyDelete