Friday, March 22, 2013

February Stashbusting

Um, yes. I know it's almost April. But, I did indeed manage a bit of stash busting in February, even though I didn't manage to take part in the Sewasaurus challenge. Possibly because the theme was unselfish sewing, and we know how bad I am in that regard. Although I did manage to replace the zipper in my boyfriend's favourite pair of trousers for his birthday (he finally resorted to emotional blackmail, after they had languished on my mending pile for over half a year). And I put missing buttons on three other pairs of trousers!

So, stashbust #1 for this month was a Rooibos made from green corduroy. I originally meant to make a second Parfait from this fabric, but decided that the bust gathers were a bit too bulky in the fabric. Also, you can never have enough Rooiboses, right? ;)
The Facts:
Fabric: about 1.5m of green corduroy from the Holland fabric market, about 0.5m of green and white striped cotton shirting from Hüco
Pattern: Colette Rooibos, Size 8
Notions: green invisible zipper, fusible interfacing, two random greenish buttons from my stash
Time to Complete: pretty fast since it's my fourth make of the pattern, maybe about five hours over two or three days.
Techniques used: Colette's awesome roll-up method of adding neckline/armhole facings, invisible zipper, Hong Kong finish (first time!), hand-stitched, bias faced hem.
First Worn: to a lovely walk, back when the sun was still shining at the beginning of March
Thoughts: This dress has seen a lot of wear in the last few weeks. I love the vibrant green colour, and it works great layered over black tights and long sleeves. I hope it'll work equally great as a spring/summer dress. Rooibos is one of my favourite patterns, I especially love the deep pockets. I think there are a couple more summer versions in the works, especially since the blue polka-dot version has gone to my sister...

Stashbust #2 is Cake Patterns' Tiramisu. That one has been on my mind for ages, especially since I was thinking about what to do with all the solid coloured jersey in my stash. Solution: use lace overlay to get some contrast!
I even sketched it out before I sewed it. :D

The Facts:
Fabric: about 1.5m of petrol coloured jersey, which I bought ages (aka 2.5 years) ago at the FIDM scholarship store in LA!
Pattern: Cake Patterns' Tiramisu, 35B/30W
Notions: 1m of a rather lovely, 16cm wide lace, bought on ebay and some fusible knit stay tape from A Fashionable Stitch
Time to Complete: I cut the pattern using someone's suggestion to cut out the largest size and then fold to the size needed, which saved some time on tracing. Maybe 5h in total over about 3 days.
Techniques used: nothing fancy, a bit of gathering under the bust, plus enforcing the shoulder seams and pocket openings with fusible stay tape.
First Worn: to a dinner with my boyfriend and his parents.
Thoughts: I really liked the sizing (which is by actual circumference, and not the usual "random" numbers), which threw me for a bit, though, when I saw that my waist size was smaller than my bust. That has never happened before, usually it's about 1-2 sizes bigger! ;-) Makes sense, though.
I'm also pretty proud of myself for the idea of overlaying lace. It was pretty easy, I didn't even baste it, just sandwiched it between the other layers. The edges of the wide lace ribbon were used for neck and sleeve band embellishment.
I'm not quite sure about this style of bodice on myself. It feels a bit foreign but kinda nice, as I usually wear a more closely fit bodice and a wider neckline. Next time, I'll have to shorten either the bodice, or the shoulder a bit, I think, and see how I feel about that. I'll also lose the pockets next time. I usually love pockets, but they feel a bit bulky in the jersey.

March has actually not been very successful, yet, if we're speaking of challenges. I have a half-finished skirt, and I may manage another jersey top or dress, 'cause that's my ultimate sweet quickie. I also got on a bit of a jersey buying shopping spree at GirlCharlee yesterday. They do have the sweetest jerseys! And what with shipping, I had to buy five fabrics. According to my pledge, that means I need fifteen finished stashbust-projects until they get here... ;)

What's on your sewing table right now?

18 comments:

  1. Wow two fabulous dresses! I love the contrast on your Tira! Very clever lady, x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree!!! They're gorgeous! I love the green cord for your Rooibos, it's a great cross-seasonal colour. And your Tira is fantastic, I love the lace overlay/contrast colour, it's a lovely detail. You've got me thinking now, I've had both patterns in my stash, might just be time to start thinking about making some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are both lovely, and I love the colours The tiramisu looks very dressy with the lace additon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG your green Rooibos is awesome and the lace overlay idea on the Tiramusi is brilliant - I may just have to copy you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful dresses!!! I would have never thought to use corduroy for the Rooibos. So smart. The striped lining fabric is such a cool touch. Gorgeous Tira too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous! Your dresses are always so classy yet comfortable and "fits in real life" at the same time. I love the lace on the Tiramisu, this might just be the loveliest version I've seen so far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also, the striped lining peeking out of the Rooibos is a lovely, sophisticated touch :-).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, both of these are so lovely...good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your jersey-with-lace dress! It look perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, lovely dresses. The green rooiboos is so cute. I love the little bit of stripey fabric showing. I am tempted to add the tiramisu to my future list, I like the lace addition - clever you. :) On my sewing table? Some very similar green cord fabric to your rooiboos dress, to cut out as a skirt (Vogue 1247) and a grey Tova top waiting for sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh they're beautiful! You suit jewel tones so well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your green corduroy dress is so lovely! There must be something in the air; I've only just made a green corduroy skirt for myself. Great minds think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love, love, love your Tiramisu! And your hair looks super cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, I love all your pretty new dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't tried either of those patterns, but they both look very nice on you. I especially like the mint green of the corduroy dress.

    I think the Tiramisu is very flattering on you, especially with your cute haircut. The lace looks nice--was that a stashbuster as well?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your tiramisu! It looks soooo pretty on you!
    The emerald colour is in fashion ;-) I´m sewing a cape in that colour.

    ReplyDelete
  17. both of these are lovely! i especially like the color of the tiramisu.

    ReplyDelete