Wednesday, March 6, 2013

February

Huh, funny. Do you sometime have the feeling that, if you haven't blogged for a little while, it gets more and more difficult do to so? Because there is more and more stuff you'd like to write about, but you're not quite sure where to begin? For me, this usually results in not writing about everything I've been meaning to, but I'll try to do something different this time around...

So, can you believe it is March already? The current weather kinda makes me, as we've had five full days of sunshine and non-freezing temperatures, making me want to go out and take walks (which I did) and do some gardening (which, now being the proud owner of a balcony, I also did!). It's supposed to be snowing again by the end of the week but at least now I can believe that winter will soon be over. :)
trying my hand at winter-sowing in me-made mini glasshouses.  hope it'll work when snow comes back to haunt us...
So, life is going pretty steady at the moment, with daily revising and doing multiple-choice mock-tests. I've also joined a study group for the oral part of my boards, which makes me a bit nervous. I thought orals were in June, but apparently they can start any time after the written exam, and I'll only know up until 5 days before. Oh joy, give me 5h of checking MC questions any day...

On a lighter note (and because I don't have enough to do), I'm also working on a book. Well, not my book obviously, but I'm in a literary circle with some of my friends (we meet every three weeks to read and get feedback on our texts, which we've written about a specific prompt that we collectively agree on the meeting before). We recently decided to do an anthology of the texts we like most and self-publish it, and I volunteered to do part of the proof reading. So I guess, as some of my texts are in it, it really is partly my book. :D

And some more good stuff happened. Some time before Christmas, Tasha told me that there was a Simplicity sale near her, and did I want her to get Simplicity 2451 (which I have tried to copy before). I was delighted and we agreed to do a swap. She also got a couple other patterns I'd been eyeing for me. Plus a crochet hook key chain and some lovely organic lip butter her friend made!
I sent her some lovely Baby Alpaca wool (Alpaca mixed with Mulberry Silk, by Drops. They have the most amazingly lovely yarns...) and vintage eyelet lace.
I like to think that we were both very happy with this swap. I already have stashbusting fabrics in mind for my new patterns, too! :)

More lucky stuff: I'm also now the proud owner of my first genuine vintage pattern! Lisette sent me Advance 5513, a cute dress and bolero combo, for Sew Grateful Week. It's even in my size and so pretty! (Yes, I also have a stash fabric in mind for this one. *g* I gather I need to make a muslin first, though.)

As if that weren't enough, I also won Built by Wendy's Sew U Homestretch from Stevie's giveaway. How cool is that! I love sewing with knits, and I'm so looking forward to making me some new patterns. :D

So I guess you can see there's been much luck and happiness around here. I also finished two dresses for February, which, compared to the seven garments of January, isn't all that much - but February is a very short month. ;) More about those, soon.

8 comments:

  1. The time really seems to be flying this year, doesn't it? That's really exciting about your book--yes, it still counts as your book. And congrats on winning those giveaways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This must be a very though period for you. I share your feelings. I can't believe you still managed to sew so much. I have that book too. I like the explanations...but in the end I used it less than I thought. The wool is great and the pattern is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh lucky girl ;o) Looking forward to seeing the dresses you made in Feb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some lovely goodies! You sound like you've been so busy. I'm glad the weather is warming up a bit for you... here it is cooling down a bit, which is WONDERFUL for us, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how you manage to fit so much into your busy life!
    Love the Advance pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You sound very busy, What great prizes you won. I love the Home Stretch book and am sure you'll make some fab things from it. Like the window boxes. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blerg, Blogger just ate my comment. I was going to say that I definitely understand about not feeling up for posting after a good amount of time has passed! I feel the same way, like I lose my groove, and then sometimes I just want to post about something small, but it seems so trivial because there's so much ELSE that happened, and then gah, I just close my computer :-P.

    What lovely patterns! Can't wait to see what you make from them.

    An anthology!!! How cool is that! I didn't realize you were so into writing, that sounds like a really nifty group that you're part of. Will you be dividing the anthology into themes? And you're proofreading sections of it, too? And you sew and knit and oh yes, are also training to be a physician? Wah, do we really have the same 24 hours in the day? Very inspiring :-). Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I'm glad you have gardening and sewing plans as well as scary exams coming up! I need to post too, maybe I'll just write about the lovely yarn you sent me . . .

    ReplyDelete