Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Back on my Balcony

Sooo - exams are over! And they actually went pretty well! I'll only get the official result in a month or so but I'm pretty sure I made a passing grade. :) Now it's only the oral/practical exam to worry about, but that's at the end of June (lucky me, the first of the students are being tested tomorrow).

So I haven't sewn a stitch, even though it's been almost a week. I was thinking about making a quick dress for the Mad Men challenge, but couldn't get my mojo up. I think I need a relaxing, leisurely project after the stress of exams. Maybe a knit top or dress?

My parents also came for the weekend, and as they came by car, I took the chance to make them go to the hardware store with me to buy gardening supplies. I haven't had a garden or balcony since I moved out, and now I have two! I really want to grow my own herbs and flowers and maybe even some vegetables. I already started some tomato seedlings a couple of weeks ago.


So we bought flower boxes and pots and soil and for the last couple of gloriously sunny days I've been planting. On the big balcony I planted a mix of flowers and fragrant herbs. No idea which ones, since they came in a seed mix. And nasturtiums - I love that not only do they look pretty, they're also edible! There's some more room for a couple of small flower boxes, which definitely need to be filled with strawberries.
The other balcony will have flower boxes planted with herbs. Some, I'm trying to grow from seeds (thyme and marjoram and lemon balm, and possibly some arugula) and others, I'm probably going to buy some plants. I'd love to have some lemon thyme and rosemary, mint and cilantro.
The vegetables, apart from five different varieties of tomato, will probably have to wait for next year. I think I may have enough room for some radishes and carrots, and maybe even some potatoes?

Do you have a balcony or garden? Any tips for a beginning gardener? :)

14 comments:

  1. Good luck with the rest of your oral exams and I am sure the balcony in another few weeks will start to really blossom and be productive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing the written exams - and good luck on the oral! I´ve been planting and fixing my balcony as well the last couple of weeks - it´s such a great and relaxing activity! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you are going to have so much fun with that balcony this summer! Congrats on finishing the written exams and best of luck with the oral. As for sewing, you'll get back into it when it's the right time... you know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your vegetable garden! I wish I had a balcony and could grow some vegetables and herbs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hurah to the end of exams. What a hive of activity growing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh! Congratulations on finishing, what a relief! I'm sure you'll ace the next set, too :-). Funny, my dad wanted to grow tomatoes from seed this year, but I think we accidentally killed them (planted them straight from seedling into the ground, in about the state yours are in now, but we didn't transition them into pots, the poor dears wilted). There was also this potential-weed-or-maybe-tomato-from-last-year's crop that he was nursing, hoping that it might turn out to be a tomato, but last I checked, the weed/tomato had perished and he caved and bought some plants from the nursery. Here's hoping yours turn out better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay! Congratulations of finishing your exams. I love the look of your growing activity. I have a garden and usually grow herbs,lettuces, tomatoes in pots. Last year tyhough it rained so much, plus having new baby so it all went wrong and I grew a big fat nothing! I recommend growing salad mixtures in pots - you can usually buy seeds in packs where there are several lettuce and leaves mixed up - they grow really fast and are easy to cut and eat, and then they grow again!Here I often buy seedlings at charity/school fetes or car boots as a cheap and easy way to get started. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done you on finishing your written exams! What a milestone! Good luck with the orals. As for gardening tips, if it's not easy, it doesn't flourish in my house!! But I do so love the idea of a never ending supply of fresh herbs...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! for finishing your exams! I love having a herb garden, and it's very rewarding to cook using your own fresh herbs. I'm sure they will flourish on your sunny balcony.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on finishing your exams! And your garden plans sound great, I love having fresh herbs! I'd like to try growing pumpkins this year, but I may have to persuade my parents to let me do it at their house, since we'll be gone so much this summer...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alessa, I am just wanting to check that you received my email. Can you let me know if you did? I am not sure I had the address correct... I am at csmith dot australia at gmail dot com Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wellcome Alessa!
    We have a small balcony full of plants and flowers. A lemon tree, thym, rosemary, lavender, aloe vera and other types of flowers like geraniums.
    All aromatic plants, the watering should be only once a week. It is usually a generous watering. When summer arrives I will make two waterings a week. The Basque Country is wet so I do not overdo with the water.
    With tomatoes, be careful because they are usually very weak and prone to diseases.
    For me the most grateful plants is rosemary, holds up to -10 º below zero and also very hot temperatues, if it´s well rooted in the pot, you'll have rosemary for many years!
    I hope that helped you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Alessa, I just found your blog via the sewing scientists map. There aren´t many pins in Berlin yet :) Your blog and especially the garments you make are stunning! Love the colors!
    Regards
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm very envious about your balcony. Your little greens are going to be so lovely and homey in no time. I think about setting out some potted plants at the bottom of our staircase (it's an apartment, and that's the closest to outside space we have) but sometimes things get stolen there. We had a garden gnome that went missing, although no one ever takes the neighbor's garbage away. I don't really live in a slum, I just have one bad family downstairs!

    Good luck with the seeds!

    ReplyDelete