So, about the stashbusting pledge: I didn't do so well in May and June. The only real stashbusting I did was a little tanktop, which I haven't even photographed yet, because it's pretty unremarkable. However, apart from the suit jacket and dress combo for my orals, I did sew two more dresses.
At the beginning of the year, I pledged to make three in four garments from stash fabric. Which does mean that I'm occasionally allowed to buy new fabric. This, paired with the fact that I've had this amazing vision of a nautical striped Lola dress in my head since February, made me shop at Girlcharlee.
The striped fabric was actually titled as a cotton jersey, but I figured I might get away with it. Also, there were two fabrics in the sweatshirt fabric category that I really wanted: the denim and navy print and the yellow polkadot fabric!
This is the point where I tell you that I probably won't shop at Girlcharlee again. While they really do have incredibly cute prints, the quality of their fabric is very varied and the rather tame prices kinda skyrocket when I figure in shipping and customs. In the end, I payed about 13€ for each yard of fabric. While that is about the same price that I'd pay for a nice quality knit at the department store (although it's about double what I'd pay at the market), I was just seriously bummed that the fabrics just weren't what was advertised - or maybe they just weren't what I was expecting from the description of sweatshirt fabrics, which was fabric suitable for making Lolas.
Anyway. In the end, I did sew something.
First: Nautical Lola
Fabric: 2 yards of wide striped, rather thin cotton knit fabric from Girlcharlee, with a good-sized piece left over.
Time to complete: stripe matching took a while, but it was cut out in an afternoon and went together in about two more.
Alterations: I shortened the sleeves and widened and lowered the neckline. For this, I cut out the original neckline and after sewing the dress together, I put it on and marked where I wanted the neckline to fall, then cut and finished it.
Techniques used: Stripe matching (while cutting out and sewing). Folded band finish for neckline, sleeves and hem.
The fabric also bugs me because the stripes have different weights (the white is a bit heavier and has more recovery than the navy), which makes for warped bands at the hem, sleeves and neckline. I've been thinking about cutting them off and replacing the bands with new ones in a solid white or navy, but I'm not sure if I could find a fabric that's a good match, and actually it doesn't bother me that much... A funny thing is that I was expecting the thin fabric to show bumps even more than my coral Lola (which shows the belly seams of my tights!), but I think the stripes and possibly the drape of the fabric distract from it.
Second: Polkadot Mad Men Wiggle Dress
Fabric: 1 yard of golden&cream polkadot "sweater fabric" from Girlcharlee, about 20cm of cream jersey.
Notions: two pearl and gold buttons from my stash, fusible knit stay tape from Sunni's shop.
Time to complete: About three afternoons. Drafting the collar took the longest, actually. ;)
Alterations: Drafted a collar and cuffs and added a straight skirt instead of my usual half circle.
Techniques used: Fusible knit stay tape on all horizontal seams. Folded band finish for the hem.
|The brooch is actually a single clip-on earring that I found at a second hand shop|