Thursday, September 12, 2013

July Dresses and a Birthday Present

It feels like forever since the last time I actually sewed something, even though I've had parts of two dresses cut out for weeks. I guess my sewing mojo has been a bit sleepy while the rest of my life was busy doing other things. I still have two unblogged summer garments to show you, though. One even fits the stashbusting challenge! Oh my. 
It's a self-drafted babydoll top of the type that I really like wearing on hot summer days, either with a pair of leggings or a pair of shorts. The fabric is from last year's Girlcharlee order, a cotton jersey with next to no recovery but a cute polka-dot-and-flowers print.

The midriff band and "skirt" part are actually modified from my TNT self-drafted jersey dress pattern. The bodice part, I draped somewhat amateurishly on myself in front of the mirror. There are two versions, one with an overlap (as seen above) and one with either a middle seam or cut on fold (depending on how much fabric there is, as the dress below was refashioned from a - admittedly very big - tunic dress). 
The edges of the top are bound with self fabric, and boy was I glad about the birthday gift I got from my family, as it made the binding (and the whole of the construction of this top) so much easier and faster!
Do you want to guess what it is?
can't believe I haven't taken a picture of it, yet
You probably guessed right, it's an overlocker! The brand is called Wertarbeit (which translates into "valuable work" *lol*) and it's supposed to be a sub-brand of Janome. For now, I'm very happy with it, I managed to thread it (there's even a little picture in the machine, showing how to do it) and I've used the normal, 4-threaded seam, which works well and the tension is good. I haven't yet fiddled with any of the dials or tried any of the stitch types
- maybe soon. :)
I also finally got up the nerve to use a twin needle. My first machine didn't have the room for two spools (or at least, I never found out where to place the second), which made twin-needling a twisty and hazardous business. My great-grandma's machine does it very well, though. :D
So, I guess after those last vestiges of summer sewing, it's time to plan for autumn. Do you have any plans yet?




17 comments:

  1. Oooh I like the first one more-the silhouette and colour combination is very flattering on you and I like how you've made use of the border print!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like the first one better, too. Still thinking what's wrong with the dress version, though, so I can avoid it next time. Maybe the contrast band...?

      Delete
  2. Ooh, lovely dresses and congratulations on your new serger!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the first one too! And did you cut your hair? You look super cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the photos are a couple months old, but I do think I took them a couple weeks after a new haircut. :) Short hair is so nice for summer. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Halter necks suit you so well! I like both new pieces a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice tops, I like the first top, hope you have fun with your overlocker. Autumn seems to have jumped in head first here in the UK, where did my Indian summer go which I always look forward to in September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seriously hoping that Indian Summer will turn up at some point, it's one of my favorite times of year!

      Delete
  6. I'm with everybody, I love the halter top on you! Glad to hear that the new machine is working out. Weather here has turned decidedly autumnal, is it like that in Germany too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the new serger! It really does make a world of difference with knits, I think. The tops are very nice. I haven't had much luck with twin needles myself, but it looks so nice on yours that maybe I should give it a try again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the crossover gathered front on the top! And the self-fabric binding is super cute. I think maybe I would like the dress version better if it had those two things, even if you kept the contrast waistband?

    I still haven't broken down and bought an overlocker. Although, if I got one as I present I don't think I would give it back! :) I do use a lot of twin-needle stitching for knits though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The alter tops look great on you!!!! I can´t wait to see your next proyects with the overlocker!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Belated birthday! I didn't realize you didn't have an overlocker yet. It will certainly help you in your projects. I love both projects actually. I really like the white contrasting bands.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your Free Birthday Gifts! Bdayo.Com was created with one goal in mind to help our users enjoy, celebrate, and remember their birthday! Bdayo allows you to find unlimited amount of Birthday Freebies in your area and offer unique features to help you learn more about that special day!

    ReplyDelete