Sunday, October 27, 2013

Bella Italia

Argh. After not blogging for a while, I always have to think so much harder about what I want to write. I wonder if that's a second language thing? I regularly read English texts but I hardly get/have to write it, except for comments and blog posts...

Anyway, since I'm not feeling particularly verbose yet, here's some pics of my holiday in Italy at the beginning of the month. :) It was a lovely holiday, nice and warm(ish), and full of wonderful food, exceptional coffee (oh, Italy, this is why I love you so) and explorations of the beautiful towns on the shore of Lago di Garda. 
Sirmione, which is beautiful but chock full of tourists, both Italian and international. Interestingly, they all go away around sundown and leave you to have dinner in one of the fabuous restaurants looking over the lake in peace. :)

Tignale, up in the mountains, which holds a truffle festival every October. Which we visited. And had pizza with truffle. And polenta with truffle. And bought actual truffles. To take home. And make pasta with truffle. Three days in a row. *oh yum*
Verona, home of Romeo&Juliet. And, very possibly, some of the most beautiful architecture in northern Italy. Yes, we visited the Arena. We also had cappuccino sitting on three different piazzas and bought some more truffles.
(In sewing news, I also talked my parents into visiting a fabric outlet. I wasn't very impressed with most of the fabrics, but found some lovely stretch silk in black and petrol, and some navy&white polka dot lining. Polka dot lining! Needless to say, I bought 3 meters...)
 
Desenzano, where we visited the weekly market, and bought such delicacies as sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil and small pickled onions. *happy sigh* Also: gelato. And a couple of cardigans, which I'm a bit ashamed to say, were probably sewn by tiny children's hands somewhere in China. They can't have been otherwise, for the price of € 10. But. Wool, cashmere and silk cardis! One in navy, one in green. They're so soft, I constantly need to pet them while wearing. Oh, but the child labour...
Brescia, where we wandered the alleys for a while until we found the really beautifull piazzas and streets. Fun fact: Brescia offers free wifi in their city centre! And there's some really lovely views into courtyards. I love me a pretty courtyard.
On the way back home, we stopped in Merano for coffee and lunch with a friend of my parents, who also took us to this little farm to buy some excellent salami and pancetta, which they smoke themselves. They also had lovely kitties. :) We had excellent lunch at the Gasthof Hanswirt: spaghetti with deer bolognese, quark/topfen dumplings with porcini sauce, handmade ravioli with pumpkin filling... So yummy. I'm glad that we always switch up our meals when I'm eating out with my family, so I always get to try every dish. :D And honestly, if I had to pick one cuisine to eat for the rest of my life, Northern Italian would probably be my pick. :)

Do you have a favorite holiday destination? Does it have as much to do with food as mine does? What's your favorite dish from another country?

13 comments:

  1. I love visiting Barcelona. And food is one of the reasons I go on vacation, too! I love Thai food and had the best in Brussels ;) South Tyrol is great for winter food (oh knodels) had great meat in Germany. Btw Vicenza is a very nice town too (will post soon about the craft fair there)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only been to Barcelona once, but I'm a big fan of tapas. A million different little dishes to try! And gazpacho - yum! I'd love to hear about Vicenza!

      Delete
  2. I love the Bahamas. I've been lucky enough to have visited twice and cannot wait to go back. It is just beautiful there - turquoise water, white sandy beaches, beautiful flowers. The fruits are so fresh and yummy that they are essentially what I eat the entire time I'm there. Glasgow comes in as a close second. The food is all about comfort and the people are so friendly. The cider is spectacular - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bahamas! Every time I see a James Bond movie, I'm thinking I really need to go there sometime... *lol* Scotland is definitely on my places-to-see list, too! Now that I'm thinking of the UK, I really loved visiting Oxford. I had a fantastic Afternoon Tea there (with an actual etagere, piled high with with scones, clotted cream, jam, tiny cucumber and salmon sandwiches...) and I loved going from pub to pub and sampling a half-pint or two of all the different ales, stouts and ciders everywhere!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos. My favorite travel destination will remain Berlin for as long as my daughter still lives there. One of these days I might run into you there. :)

    Quick English lesson (American English anyway)... the color Petrol is called Teal. It took me a while to figure that out a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teal! Yes, I'm positive that my brain already knew that. ;)
      You're welcome to run into me at some point. Maybe for a coffee? :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, what an absolutely wonderful holiday!! Your photos are gorgeous. And, your English is excellent :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photos Alessa! I love Italy too, both for architecture, scenery and yes, the food!! But Ive not travelled nearly enough, your photos provide a lovely glimpse !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can´t believe it!!!!!!!! I was there on august!!! I love lago di garda :-) When we went to Verona, it was a very hot day...I couldn´t enjoy all that beautiful architecture. I loved also Desenzano, there, I ate an incredible pasta dish, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing with us about your holiday. I like travelling everywhere and don't have a prefered location. Food is also big for me when I travel - it's a great way to see how local people live their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I've never heard you speak but just from reading your blog I'd think you were a native English speaker. I wish I were as good at any other language as you are with English!

    Anyway... Ah, Italy! So beautiful. Well, I've only ever been to Venice but it was pretty neat. I'm jealous of you Europeans with your high speed trains and cheap flights. It takes me 8hrs just to get out of my home state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dixie! :) I actually lived in the US for a year, and I've been reading English books for over ten years, so I like to say that my written English sounds alright. :) Who knows, one day I'll do one of those video blog memes and then you can all have a giggle about my atrocious German accent. ;)

      Delete
  9. Mmm, tartufi! As you know I also travel on my stomach, and recently made a separate page just to share the food we find when we travel . . . if I had to pick one place it might be Tuscany. In the US, New Orleans and Portland are the two cities where I there's more truly delicious food than I can possibly eat in one trip!
    And seriously, your English is practically perfect. It makes me feel so lame for not having a fluent second language. :)

    ReplyDelete