|the Verity dress: isn't it cute?|
I made my usual alteration of shortening the bodice a bit, which in this case was actually superfluous. Now the midriff band covers part of my bust, so I'm going to add the length back on for my next iteration. Apart from that (which is, of course, my own fault and not the pattern's), I'm pretty happy with the fit. The back skirt is just a wee bit wider than I usually like, so I may take out a couple of centimeters at the fold line in my next version. It looks fine in the photos, though, so maybe not. I also took in the side seams from the midriff band down by about 1.5cm after taking the photos. And I'm thinking the midriff band may be a bit too wide for my short torso, so slimming it down a bit is probably a good idea.
this beautiful silk dress by Sue. Ahem.
|if I hadn't shortened the bodice, I'm pretty sure them hem would hang right, too.|
Pattern: Verity by Moxie Patterns
Fabric: 1.5 yards of printed cotton jersey by Girlcharlee, plus about 0.5 yards of leftover black cotton jersey with some elasthan content (I'm guessing about 4%).
Time to complete: a bit over an hour for preparing the pattern, half an hour cutting out, less than 2h sewing. Equals less than 4h total, I'd say, but spaced over three sessions.
Alterations: shortened the front and back bodice by about 1.5cm, which I'll have to add back to the front the next time. Took in the skirt side seam a little.
Techniques used: Gathering was done on my regular sewing machine, for everything else I used my overlock machine. Oh, and following one of Gillian's Lazy Knit Sewing Tips, I serged my hem with a bit of a gather to make hemming easier, then used a twin-needle.