Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Wardrobe Planning

A holiday is a great opportunity for wardrobe planning, don't you think? There's nothing like a limited choice of garments to think about what you like to wear, and why. Especially now, that we're in the changing of seasons.

Even though it's still sometimes hitting 20°C during the day, the mornings and evenings are pretty cold, so I've started wearing tights again, which I never do in summer. I might put on leggings, if I'm wearing a short dress or if it's colder, but I want the option of bare feet during summer. Putting on tights is a sure sign for autumn, even though they aren't the wooly kind, yet.

I'm only now realizing that, while I prefer dresses in summer, autumn (like spring) is my time for separates. While I may still reach for a dress and cardi now and then, it's mostly skirts and longsleeves, and I prefer wearing a cute tank top underneath, should it be warm enough to wear shortsleeves in the afternoon. This has made me realize that I own hardly any cute tank tops.

I've also realized that, when I have the choice between a solid and a striped top, I go for the striped one, nine out of ten.
I may need more striped tops. Or maybe I need to think about ways to decorate my plain solid ones. Applique, maybe? I really like Gillian's t-shirts here. Or transforming them into cardis? I like plain cardis fine, especially if a cute tank top is peeking out, and I wouldn't mind a few more.

So this is most of what I've been wearing during my holiday here:
The white striped top is actually my sister's. She lent it to me, to go with the pair of shorts she gave me. I like it a lot, it's got a boatneck and cute mother-of-pearl buttons at the neckline and sleeves.

So I've got bottoms in red, green and blue/denim, and tops in red, green, blue and white. Quite the neat little colour palette, isn't it? 

I like the decorations on the RTW tops, the buttons on the white one and the little patch pocket, placket and lace on the red one. I'll have to remember and try that with my me-made ones, too.
As for tank tops, I'm thinking I might like a few white ones with polka dots in my colour palette, and maybe a lace edge. 

I realize that this doesn't quite fit into my stashbusting plan, but then again, it will augment my wardrobe with garments I'll wear again and again. So I guess that means a trip to the fabric market!



12 comments:

  1. Looking at rtw is a great way to look for inspiration for your me-made! Looking forward to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So coordinating! I'd like to be so organized and firm in my wardrobe choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! I'm afraid this is just a tiny part of my wardrobe. But I've decided to take it as basis, since there are a lot of other garments I hardly wear, so they might be better off at the charity shop - and I'll be better off with pieces that mix and match. :D

      Delete
  3. Nice outfit planning! I love holiday packing for this exact same reason, although I tend to go for dresses whenever I go away. Not sure why but maybe because I like to look more put together and less like a tourist form North America :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually took a few dresses, too - although half of my dresses are "feels like pyjamas" jersey dresses, which often feel more like loungewear to me, so I feel more put together in a cute skirt and top...

      Delete
  4. I am looking forward to seeing what you make. Will you have to dress smartly or casual in the new job? Hope you are still having a good holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already planning a work wardrobe! As it's a doctor's office, it's more office smarts than I'm used to. I don't *have to* wear black and white, but trousers or a skirt and blouse/smart top seems to be the order of the day, and no wild prints. I've been thinking hummingbird tops (the ones with the dickeys). I still have some time to think about it, though, as my starting date has been put back to Jan 1st. It's a government-funded job and there's no money before that... *boo*

      Delete
  5. You have such a really well co-ordinated wardrobe. Everything goes together so well, and suits you too. I need to learn how to do this myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your color scheme! What am I saying?? I love your style in general!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your wardrobe is sooooo coordinated! I have to make the same, put on the bed all my garments and think...

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the holiday wardrobe, I so enjoyed planning my mini wardrobe for Pattern review, its such great fun seeing it all materialise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wie interessant...war gestern bei Lili und wir haben Tourklamotten gepackt. Alles sehr ähnlich zu deinen. Außer dass sie alle schwarz sind. Schwarz.
    Hast du überhaupt was Schwarzes ;-)?

    ReplyDelete