Thursday, November 7, 2013

Fun With Colour Blocking

So, this may be a slightly unconventional make for me.
Or is it? Well, for one, it doesn't have a midriff band. And I don't sew a lot with black as the main(ish) colour. And I'm not quite into colour blocking with princess seams.

Then again, it's a jersey dress. It's partly torquoise.
It's also a Lola.
Well, a Lola without the pockets, with a lower neckline, an altered neckline band, eliminated waist seam and no bottom band. And colour blocking.

It's also a Star Trek uniform.
And as such, my Hallowe'en costume for this year. :D It's not quite "historically correct" (for one, this type of "skant" uniform was worn in the early 2360s, but then the science division colour was still a medium blue, not the torquoise of about 10 years later) but the torqouise jersey was a remnant I had still lying around.

I'm glad I finally have a proper uniform, and one that is almost inconspicious enough to be worn outside of costume parties. With either Trill spots or Vulcan pointed ears, since I can't very well pull off the Betazoid look with my short hair. ;)

Do you occasionally want to look like a character out of a SciFi movie/series? If so, who?

15 comments:

  1. Love it!!! How inspired...
    I can't say I've had a yearning to dress sci Fi...so lets pull out a random character for a laugh...Barbarella of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT'S SO FABULOUS! Love the colors, love the style, especially love that you made it into a Star Trek uniform. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome costume, but also an awesome dress to wear everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it looked like a Star Trek uniform, awesome costume! :)
    I am so tempted for a dress like yours for school athletics day (I have to dress up in blue). Is there any character/etc I could look up for inspiration?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous dress! I would wear it for everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Carolyn, it's not costumey at all. The turquoise suits you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing costume!!! You should wear it everyday :-) Love the colour!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks gorgeous! It really suits you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, I knew we had a lot in common, but you like Star Trek too?!?! :) I was obsessed with Next Generation growing up, I would have fantasized myself into practically any of the characters just to be on the ship. I like your interpretation of the uniform, way more fun to wear than those jumpsuits from later on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's pretty awesome! Didn't even think "Star Trek" until you mentioned it ;-), you can totally get away with wearing it outside costume parties :-). I owe you an email, apologies - been feeling under the weather the last couple weeks. And LOL, definitely a Trekkie in this camp, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, cool, I like this as an everyday dress,not just a Star Trek dress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool! I love the idea of you walking around wearing a dress that is secretly a Starfleet uniform.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, I love that you did Trill spots! Jadzia Dax is my personal favorite. The dress is a great variation on the Lola. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cool costume! Did you use a specific pattern for the colorblocking, or made your own? I would love, love, love a Trekkie dress!

    ReplyDelete