Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Polka-dots for the Living-room

A couple of weeks ago we had our one-year anniversary of moving into our current apartment. :D So, after living here for one year, we thought a bit about optimizing our living arrangements. The stuff you never really think about, you know, like the unadorned-by-a-lampshade lightbulb, the stuff that's piled on the sideboard in the hall, the missing curtains... Anyway, we took a trip to IKEA, getting a shoe rack that can be used as a bench, a couple of bookshelves (a small one for my yarn and sewing stuff, and a high one for the office room), a new armchair... And I finally got some fabric to make new covers for our chairs.

We inherited our chairs from my parents, they must be at least 15 years old and they're still sturdy, but their covers are pretty rough and faded after that time. I had some white slipcovers for a shile, but they didn't quite fit and anyway, white isn't a practical colour for a chair. So finally, after thinking about it for months, I made new covers!
The old chair with and without the old cover. The chair cover is actually removable and interchangable, like with most IKEA chairs. But, they don't carry this design anymore.
So I just took off the old cover and took it apart. Look how faded it is! It's just two pieces, plus a bit of velcro to attach it to the chair. I made pattern pieces from the cover, so I could throw it away recycle it.
I'm glad to say that it only took a few hours to recover three of the five chairs we have. I made my often-repeated mistake of buying too little fabric, so I will have to wait until the next trip to IKEA to re-cover the other two. Oh well. The fabric I used is HILDIS, which is 6 €/m and I used about 1m per chair, plus about 1m of velcro, so the cover came to 8€ each. Pretty good, since the covers for Henriksdal (the successor of our chair, we have two of them, the plain red ones below) go for 19 €.
And here are the finished chairs. Yay for polka-dots!




10 comments:

  1. Nicely done and bonus points for 'cheaper than ikea' hahaha. They look really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alessa these are AWESOME! And way to migrate your love of polka-dots from wardrobe to home decor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the new covers, they are really cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...they are fab! Just love them. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing what a difference such a relatively small change can make in your surroundings! And it's nice to see a home fabric project. I sometimes feel embarrassed to post anything I make that isn't a garment, so I'm glad to see someone else post something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job! Those look quite professional. My dining chairs have permanent black cushions, but they still get marked up. You're giving me ideas for a washable cushion-cover . . . thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alessa it´s fabulous...not only because I love red! The work you did is amazing! I have the same chairs in my living room! Your living room looks so cozy and welcoming! It´s also the perfect color for the upcoming holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are really pretty - I like the mis-matched look too!

    ReplyDelete