Friday, December 20, 2013

Looks Like Christmas Dress

Oh look, another dress! Somehow, I've been very productive in the last couple of months, and I don't even know why. Possibly because I've used mostly simple patterns, that I had already made before. And I do still have a lot of free time at the moment... A good thing, too, since I probably won't get a lot done once I start my job for real in January. Maybe I should stretch my backlog of finished garments over the first few months of 2014...? Well, maybe not. Anyway, here's another sweater dress.
The facts: 
Pattern: Ottobre  05/2008-14, the raglan-sleeved knit top, plus a thin rectangle for the midriff band and the skirt from my self-drafted knit dress pattern.
Fabric: 1.5m of soft (polycotton?) sweater knit fabric plus a bit of white cotton jersey from the Maybachufer fabric market.
Notions: none
Time to complete: a couple of hours.
Techniques used: Nothing fancy. Most of the seams are overlocked, the hem and sleeves are turned under and stitched with a wide twin needle.
Alterations: Originally the midriff band was wider, bit it seemed out of place so I cut off the lower seam, cut it in half and stitched it again.
First worn: To a Christmas party with my friends.

While I was stitching, I actually thought that the print might be a bit of Christmas overload, and more suitable for a small girl, but having worn it, I don't think it's too much. The print is mostly geometric, with those little flowers/stars in between, and while it does look a bit dirndl like, the nicely drapey half-circle skirt and lack of apron take it away from a too-folksy look. Plus, the fabric is very cozy, and even though it feels like it would pill a lot, it doesn't! (Yet.) So, definitely a win in my book. Even though the hem isn't quite level. Oh well.

I think I may like raglan sleeves just a bit better than the usual version. I have a feeling that they fit better. Well, fit me better. How about you? Do you prefer raglan sleeves or regular ones?

PS: As you may have seen, I finally caved and installed Disqus for comments. I've been playing with the idea for ages, because I like that you get notified when you get replies on your comments (I've never quite understood why blogger doesn't have this feature). On the other hand, I had problems with Disqus not loading in my browser for a while, but that bug has been fixed for over a year now. So, if you have problems commenting, feel free to drop me a line via email or Twitter, alright?

5 comments:

  1. So cute! I don't think it's to christmasy at all, just cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very cute dress, and perfectly Christmassy :) I had disqus for a while but some commenters contacted me to say they had had trouble commenting, so I removed it. Plus I never check to see if there have been any replies ...! (blush) no time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get email about comments and replies, so then I can decide if I want to answer or not. :) Honestly, I think most comments don't really need or expect an answer - as probably any blogger, I'm really happy about people saying they like things, but I'm a bit too lazy (or sometimes too busy) to reply with a thank you for everyone. But every once in a while there's a question or comment that's so interesting, I'd really like to write a response, or if I ask a question, I'd be interested in one, but I always forget to check back if I got an answer. So I like that Disqus reminds me (and sends me an email)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this dress Alessa - it is very prettily Christmassy. I too like raglan sleeves & am looking forward to some more in future makes. Make the most of your holiday before you start your new job :-)
    Have a wonderful time, I'm sure you will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catching up on blogs! This dress is great and I like how you've styled t with boots and tights. Such a happy colour too!

    ReplyDelete