Thursday, February 27, 2014

Smells like spring...

What with all the snow and cold temps that North America has gotten in the past weeks, and the downpour that has haunted GB, I feel a bit self conscious saying that here in Berlin, we've been enjoying lovely spring weather for the past month. I'm not kidding, we've been surfing along with 8-12°C and nary a day of rain for the past four weeks. Lot's of sunshine, too. It's pretty much unprecedented. Berlin usually is a cloudy sinkhole all winter. Anyway, I'm not complaining. Apart from the fact that I didn't get to even half of my winter sewing projects before spring turned up again. But who cares. I'm lusting for spring sewing. Sunshine!

This skirt could be called winter sewing, if I cared to present it with wooly tights and a sweater, I guess. It has actually been cut out since before Christmas. Paired with nude tights, knee socks and this striped raglan top that I sewed in December, it makes for a decent spring outfit, too (and fits well into my spring&autumn wardrobe preferences). 
It's Simplicity 2451, of course. After last year's green version (in size 16, because I wanted it to sit on my hips) turned out way too big, possibly because my corduroy had some stretch that I didn't account for, I re-cut this version, which is a 12 in front and a 16 in the back (for reasons), and I used some absolutely stable woven interfacing for the waistband. I really love the way this version sits, even though the tulip shape kind of accentuates my hips. But oh well.
The lining is a blue&white polka-dot rayon from Italy (Verona, to be exact) and the skirt hem was done by turning it up once and hand-stitching on a polka-dot lace ribbon. Yay, polka dots!
I like the fit of this one so well, I'm almost thinking about disassembling the green version and re-cutting it to this size. It would probably end in a disaster, though...

The top, btw, is one of my go-tos, the raglan sleeved Ottobre 5/2008-14. Version number four. I'm thinking that I like it even better than my regular-sleeved TNT jersey top pattern. Because raglan sleeves are awesome. :) I even did some (more or less successful) stripe matching.
Are you already thinking of spring sewing? Or is it still winter where you live? And what's currently on your sewing table? (I need to finish a green Lola, or two, before either going on to that Plantain that I've been meaning to make for Blue February, or starting on tracing the pattern for a polka-dot dress, or taping the Moss skirt... So many plans!)



16 comments:

  1. I LOVE this outfit! The red is fabulous on you and, wow, great legs in that skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cute outfit! That skirt is a really great shape with the pleats in front allowing for pocket room.
    to answer your 3-question roundoff; NO, it's not still winter where I live. It's 37C here today, phew!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Every time you make one of these I think: gosh, I need more of those skirts in my life! Especially the cropped version - so swingy and versatile and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the cute details that you made inside :-) The whole outfilt looks great on you!
    Where I live, we are having a windy and rainy winter, horrible! We had flooding in cities like San Sebastian, it seemed that the sea with the waves wanted to eat the city! Now it´s 8ºC and on the top of the mountains is snowing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. And very nice weather, too. I've been visiting Berlin (and my daughter) for the last 2-1/2 weeks, and I'm very happy to be avoiding the very cold weather and blowing snow at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like lovely weather! And it's a lovely outfit too. It's still bitterly cold where I live, but I'm working on a spring outerwear jacket anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sewing plans are totally messed up. I have been sewing slower than before...so i totally understand your feeling. I really like your top. Nice outfit overall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the red skirt - so bright and cheery. Now you make me think how I want to make a red skirt for myself! My sewing plans currently involve sewing some dresses for my daughters trying to use up some stash fabrics. And for me I am still plotting a parka but haven't got enough money yet to pay for the fabric! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely lovely ! Both the skirt in such a sweet red and secret spots then with the stripey tee. And I agree, raglan sleeves are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Alessa! I just got referred to you by Mary at IdleFancy - love your blog! I'm actually going to be in Berlin later in the week for work and was hoping to get a minute to dive into some fabric shops. Could hou recommend anywhere? I'm staying near Hackeacher Markt. Thanks! Jenny www.cashmerette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spring could not get here faster. Don't you hate the cold temps?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love your skirt and it goes perfectly with your striped top. Your whole outfit is great. About the only good thing that I can say about the mini-ice age we are having in Toronto, is that I have fallen in love with sewing again. I envy you for the sunny days and month-long warm temps! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the cheery pick me up! Snow is coming down as I type with no signs of stopping!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice one, Alessa. The colour is lovely and so spring like. What a second: Spring? What is that? It seems I live in the land of eternal winter. We for snow again today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely skirt! Nice colour too, it goes perfectly with your raglan tee.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jenny! Sure, are you looking for anything in particular? I put some of the fabric shops in Berlin on the sewintist map (http://anothersewingscientist.blogspot.de/2013/02/map-sewintists-goes-live.html). Apart from that, there are two department stores with a good fabric selection, Galeria at the Ostbahnhof and Karstadt at Herrmannplatz. The Turkish Market at Maybachufer (U8 Schönleinstraße) is really something to see, and while a lot of the fabric is cheap poly, there usually are some great bargains and lovely gems to be found (it's on Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.). While you're near there, there's a little fabric store called Offstoff (Grimmstraße 20) with beautiful quilting cottons and some pretty jerseys nearby. The craft shop "idee" right next to the KaDeWe (Passauer Str. 1-3) has a really big selection of the more expensive fabrics, and a lot of basics (jersey, corduroy, sweatshirt fabric) in lots of colours, too. Also, not to far from Hackescher Markt are Stoffe Meyer (Brunnenstaße 165), they have some designer fabrics, and stuff like organic cotton, linen, wool... beautiful but rather expensive. And Frau Tulpe (Veteranenstraße 19) who also has lovely quilting cottons plus some garment fabrics like jersey and corduroy... If you have more questions or if you're looking for something in particular, just holler! :) Sadly I'm pretty busy this week (work, and my choir is giving a concert on Saturday, so there's rehearsals and stuff), else I'd love to maybe have a coffee with you!

    ReplyDelete