Sunday, March 9, 2014

On the Evolution of Style

A couple of weekends ago I did a garment swap with some friends, and in the process of culling my wardrobe came across a couple of pieces that have been in my wardrobe for quite some time. They got me thinking about what clothes and colours I like to wear and if and how much that has changed in the last few years.

This is the outfit I was wearing that day:
me-made aqua top and RTW skirt
And this is the outfit I found:
The top is probably the oldest one I own. I'm pretty sure I bought it when I was about 16 (a few months after I got together with my boyfriend), at H&M, together with a full, pleated red skirt of the exact same colour as the one above, but knee length. The skirt above is also from H&M and used to be knee length, I bought it a couple years later (after the pleated one ceased to fit me) together with a green tank top that I still wear. It got shortened three or four years ago and is still worn occasionally, although it's now starting to fall apart (which made me snatch up the skirt in the first pic when I saw it on sale).
I'd also love to wear the green boatneck more frequently, but aside from being at least a size to small now and rather short, it's also falling apart at the seams. Darn, since it's my absolute favorite shade of green!

So, I guess I'm just a bit predictable in my fashion choices, aren't I? ;)

I can tell some things have changed in the last decade, of course. After I realized about 8 years ago that my knees didn't look any uglier than everyone elses, hemlines started slowly creeping upwards. While I still like the occasional flowy skirt, I've grown to prefer a slightly slimmer silhouette. And after longingly looking at jersey dresses for about half my life, I finally realized that they actually look nice on me if they have some waist definition, thus pretty much revolutionizing my wardrobe.

Have your style and colour preferences changed much in the last decade?
In other news. I made waffles today. With strawberries and whipped cream! And I started tomato and herb seeds on my balcony. :D The halved plastic bottles function as little greenhouses...


9 comments:

  1. An oldie but goodie! I think I gravitate toward the same colors and combos again and again too. With new ones creeping in from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you can find fabrics in similar colors and than make you own versions. Then you will not be missing your outfits as much when they are falling apart :) My wardrobe is actually full of jersey dresses - they are just so comfy, I love them. Now I want some waffles - they just look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, my goal exactly. Although I often have a hard time finding (especially jersey) fabrics in a nice quality... Drapey rayon jersey and thin printed cotton is actually no problem, but I'm totally missing some nice and stable cotton and rayon choices...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I've actually never been to Stoffe Meyer (it's not quite in my part of the city) but their website looks like they have some awesome fabric choices. Do share what you make with your Berliner fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a nice idea, compare what you were wearing 10 years ago and what you wear now ... You've given me a great idea! I think I'm going to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alessa, thanks for raising this. I will now have to go back and look at some pictures. i don't think my wardrobe has changed much in the past decade...I am still wearing the same jeans I bought 10 years ago ;o) How cool you made waffles. They look yummy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, I'd love to see the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an interesting question! I´ve been sewing for almost ten years now, and I guess my actual wardrobe slowly has become more like my fantasy wardrobe. ;) Using plastic bottles as little greenhouses is a great idea, and those waffles looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the main changes I guess is the shape of my jeans! 10 years ago I was probably wearing bootlegs. :) I also used to wear much more tiny tops and wide trousers now it's more likely to be big top and tight trousers! BUt still I have a love for the same colours and skirts. I am so impressed by the waffles....yum xx

    ReplyDelete