Tuesday, May 6, 2014

MMMay '14?

So the first week of May is already nearly over, and I haven't even said a peep about this year's Me Made May. To be honest, I debated for a very long time if I should even take part. I loved all the me-made challenges that I took part in and last year I think I even managed to only repeat an outfit once or twice! But nowadays, I'm working five days of the week, and my work outfits for now consists of two pairs of black RTW trousers and a choice of two blouses and three fine-knit pullovers. Not very exciting. And I tend to just pull on some yoga pants and a t-shirt when I'm home. Not very exciting, either. (Dresses and skirts, for some reason, seem to be a no-go in a doctor's outfit over here. We either wear scrubs or a combo of smart trousers and a nice shirt/blouse/top in Germany!)
MMM Day 1 - Me-made polka dot dress, lacy tights and new Italian shoes.
But thinking about not doing any outfit posts for May left me feeling quite sad - so although I'm not officially taking part in Me Made May '14, I have decided to do a weekends-and-holidays edition! May 1 is Labor Day in Germany and an official bank holiday, and since it fell on a Thursday this year, we got a four day weekend. Yay! And we even get another long weekend in May (May 29 is the Christian holiday of Ascension, which is also a German bank holiday)! So there are some outfit posts to be had this month. Phew!
MMM Day 2 - Me-made strawberry stripe top and flowery Moss skirt.
I'm also going to be wearing a pair of me-made undies each day of the month, but there's not going to be any photo documentation... ;) The real challenge though, is that I'm determined to make myself at least one outfit for work this month! I'm planning on a pair of black linen trousers and a blouse (or two). I wonder if polka-dots are appropriate doctor's office wear...?
MMM Day 3 - Me-made striped top and blue Moss skirt.
Also speaking of long weekends. My boyfriend and I are coming to visit Great Britain from May 28 to June 1. We're visiting old friends from school, one is currently doing her doctoral thesis in Fishing Science in Liverpool, and after we spent a couple days there, we're going to visit another friend who's doing his doctoral thesis on Computer Linguistics in Edinburgh. I seem to have pretty smart friends (with a funny choice in subjects)... ;-)
MMM Day 4 - Me-made green-striped Lola.
Anyway, since travelling always is a wonderful excuse for fabric shopping, does anyone have a suggestion on where to get lovely fabrics? Or lives within a reasonable distance and wants to meet up for a cuppa? (I actually tried to get my boyfriend to agree to fly into Birmingham instead, and take a quick look at the famed Rag Market, bit air fares and travelling times proved too much...)

Hope you're having a lovely week!

8 comments:

  1. Great handmade outfits! I'm casually participating in Me Made May this year, too. I definitely think that you should incorporate your signature polka dots into your work wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another vote for polka dots at work! And I really like your floral Moss, perfect colours for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your floral moss is sooooo cute! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sitting in a German office wearing polka dots as I type, my vote is yes! Can't wait for the next long weekend, I would like this one to be sunny please

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oo I used to live in Liverpool up until the beginning of the year (also doing a doctoral thesis). There's a couple of fabric shops on Stafford Street off London Road, which is near the university and not too far from the main station. Abakhan is pretty big and does fabric by weight downstairs and by the metre upstairs, tends to be cheap but doesn't often label the fabric content. There's another small shop beyond that on the same side of the road, I can't remember the name, which normally has some interesting fabric too. Have fun x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Polka dots are fine, as long as the pattern is a bit office-y or on the conservative side of vintage-inspired. Heck, even a top version of your dress here would work. I'm lucky that my office wear can be a little bit fun, since I rarely deal with the public. I hope to take advantage of that soon with some me-made office wear as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute outfits!! I decided not to participate this year - I can barely manage to get dressed in the morning lately! Just busy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best of luck with your plan to make things for work!! I love wearing clothes I've made when I'm supposed to look professional, it's like having a secret (or not so secret) superpower.

    ReplyDelete