Thursday, August 7, 2014

Bandelettes

I've been meaning to tell you about these for weeks. Months, almost. Although I'm not quite sure how to go about it, without sounding like a commercial... ;)

At the beginning of summer, I bought a couple of pairs of Bandelettes.

I'm not sure if you've heard about them. They are a lacy pair of bands that you wear around the top of your thighs, to keep from chafing. I heard about them sometime last year, when Mary from Young, Broke and Fabulous got a pair for review. I thought about buying some then, then thought about possibly making some myself. But they have these strips of silicone at the top and bottom, to keep them from slipping, plus, they're not actually that expensive. (Shipping from the US to Germany was only 2$, too!) And I think that the guys (gals?) that developed and patented them deserve a medal.

Why?
Well. As you can probably see from the garments I make, I love dresses. Floaty dresses are my favorite garments for summer. I love warm and sunny weather. But I've had problems with my thighs rubbing together and chafing at least since puberty. Back then, it didn't matter, except maybe at the pool, because I mostly wore jeans anyway, even in summer. (I had a thing about not liking my knees. Thankfully I grew out of that. ;-) ) But for the last few years, it meant that in summer, I mostly wore leggings, or at least bike shorts, either under my floaty dresses or with tunic-length tops.
Not quite ideal in hot and summery temperatures, when all you want is a nice breeze, isn't it? ;)
 
So. I bought some Bandelettes at the beginning of the summer, and boy have I been happy with them!
I've been wearing dresses without leggings like nobody's business.
They're a very well thought out and well made product. They stay where they're supposed to be (at the top of my thighs), keep me from chafing, and they also have the added bonus of keeping my skirt from flying up when I'm biking! ;) Apart from that, I don't have the feeling that my dresses stick to them. They don't show, except maybe under my shortest dresses when I'm sitting down. And they have definitely prompted the flood of summer dresses that are coming off my sewing table (four of them still unblogged).
So no, this isn't a commercial. I'm not getting paid, I'm not recieving any merchandise. If I sound like an announcer on a teleshopping channel, that's just because these are probably the most useful and happiness-inducing pair of garments that I've bought - possibly since investing in a really rather wonderful push-up bra with convertible straps last year. (And ahem, that sounds like I'm buying way more fancy lingerie than I actrually do...) ;)

I debated if I should go into a discussion about body images in this post. Does it mean that I'm fat if I need something to keep my thighs from chafing? Actually, I don't really care. I feel pretty good in my body. I'm loads fitter than I was even a couple of years ago. I can run 5km in one go! So what if my weight, according to my BMI, is constantly hovering at the line between normal and overweight (which shows how short I actually am, since I usually sew something between a size 8 and 12, not really plus sizes at all! And speaking of plus sizes, do you know the Curvy Sewing Collective? :) Those are some really cool girls!). I'm also a classical "apple", tending to gain weight at my stomach and waist instead of hips an thighs. Which actually gives me a higher risk of developing cardiovascular disease than those girls with a classical pear figure. Which is one of the reasons why I started exercising in the first place. (And there's the doctor in me speaking... ;) ).

Anyway. I really like those Bandelettes.
Have you recently found any ingenious solutions for problems you didn't know you had?

15 comments:

  1. Thank you for your great post! I love sewing and wearing dresses but I have the same problem! I had not heard about the Bandelettes but they sound great! My solution is to buy very thin pantyhose and cut them off at knee length. They ride up a bit but it still works. The Bandelettes sound a lot better and especially cooler! And I don´t feel like my thighs are to big either ;-) I am so glad somebody is talking about it, I am sure a lot of women have that problem! Cheers from a fellow Berlinerin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am going to give these a try too! The chafing is so painfull isnt it? I'm pretty sure it is a weight distribution thing, not a fat/not fat thing. Two years ago I discovered a brand that sells underpants with longer legs, they go down about half the upper leg. In a cotton/lycra blend so quite comfortable too. It was revolutionary, no more leggings! Bare legs and no pain, woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's the biggest secret every knows about and doesn't really talk about... having the thigh chaffing issue. I often wear boring, ugly biker style shorts under skirts. I've seen these Bandelettes before and have been curious. They look so simple to sew up (I sew my own bras and undies already). I should really order a pair or two and just replicate them! Plus, a cute lacey thing peaking out is way saucier and nicer then some black biker shorts, huh!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been sewing leggings at shorts length but don't like the bulk they create. So these are awesome! So I'll definitely order them. Will make the hubby happier as well :) Thanks for telling about them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip, I'll most certainly try that (if summer shows up again in France) as it's a problem I also have.And I'll be sure to share this with my friends who almost all have the same problem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like these are a fantastic product! I don't have any ingenious gadget but this morning I was cursing bra makers as most bras dig into my skin... So am curious to hear what magic bra you found!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, mad props to whoever invented those!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look really interesting! Anything that makes summer dresses more wearable is a win. And the dark pink/red dress you're wearing looks fab, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, I think more woman have this "problem" than they are willing to admit. Some of this new shape wear is perfect for this too because they stop mid thigh (or shorter sometimes), available in nude & black & give the added bonus of shaping at the same time. The problem with most shape wear is the price tag unfortunately but thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sudocreme not fully rubbed in gets through a day at work. Though this is prettier, thank you. Always had this issue even when athletic, fit and slim - even had trousers wear through - just how I walk along with being a classic pear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh hooray! I don't need any, but I love ingenious clothing design. Plus I'm really glad to hear that you are freed from leggings during the summer. I can't even imagine how hot that would be!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know I would love these as well. I'm so glad you found these and thanks for sharing the info too. they have been added to my wish list. There is nothing like being comfortable in a dress and yes and putting an end to rubbing thighs is always a winner. I'm just getting back into sewing and discovered Curvy Sewing Collective and I sew between sizes 16 and 18 based on my measurements and if that plus size then cool! As you say I love a good fit. You can find my adventures here isewiknit.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, it's more in the way of how it shows off my cleavage, not in how fantastically well it fits... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah! Thanks for the link on bandelettes. I am definitely going to give them a try! I love the Curvy Sewing Collective!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea! I'm wearing thin thigh long underpants (I call them affectionately "granny panties") underneath but my dresses tend to ride up. I so will give these a go, they are much prettier, thanks for the link.
    Chaffing thighs aren't only a problem of plus sized women. Although I fall into that category, some of my friends who are rather thin do have the same problem.
    And re body issues: I have come to the conclusion that a healthy life style is far more important than BMI.

    ReplyDelete