Monday, August 18, 2014

Summer Sundress

So it looks like the warm temperatures of the last few weeks have gone and left us with some chilly days. Which means I'd better tell you about my pretty sundress before autumn decides to fully take over. ;) This one I made to wear to a good friend's wedding, three weeks ago, although in the end I decided that it wasn't quite elegant enough for the occasion. I wore it to breakfast the next day, though. ;)
The bodice, as with my Oonapalooza maxi, is the sundress bodice from Gertie's book. I love that sweetheart neckline! And with the shirred back, it needs no zipper and fits really nicely! The skirt is just a pleated rectangle, because the fabric I used has such a pretty lace border. However, instead of doing just straight box pleats, I used the idea from an RTW dress and angled them a bit, which gives a nicer fit. I haven't seen this in any pattern before, but I think it makes actually a lot of sense, because the sewn part of the pleat follows the curves of the body between waist and hip before the fullness springs out. Does that make sense?
I'm not sure if you can see it very well, but the pleats are trapezoid instead of rectangular, kind of like a dart that isn't sewn all the way up to the apex.
The dress acutally ended up too long for my taste, ending slightly below the knee (sorry for the blurry pic - it was the night before we left for the wedding!). Which is why I cut off half the lace border. Um yeah, I know. All that pretty lace! But I like it better that way. :)
The leftover lace was actually snapped up by a friend of mine, who now uses it as a kind of belt with a pink dress. So we're all happy. Yay! ;)
I'm also happy that I managed to blog about this just in time before the end of the Summer Sundress Sew-along!
Are you still doing summer sewing or are you already working on your plans for autumn?

5 comments:

  1. Very summery Alessa! It´s really nicely fitted. Well done!
    I am still sewing summer clothes, though it's pants again so I guess it could also qualify as fall sewing. I would still love to make a blouse but I am not sure I will manage in time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few summer pieces left to sew up and then I'm all about fall! Love, love this dress - so very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty dress and a great colour for you! I am still sewing my denim jacket so kind of summer and autumn sewing in one! Though I am hardly able to do any sewing at all as it is still holidays here till start of sept. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a lovely sundress! I'm finishing up a couple of things for an event, hoping I can cram in one quick project for Tribute Month, and then it's going to be all about fall sewing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shorter length is better on you I think. :) And your friend is using the lace, so it ended up just as it should!

    ReplyDelete