Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Almost a Capsule Wardrobe - Holidays at the Seaside

So I spent a short holiday at the Baltic Sea with B. and my family at the end of August. :) Even though Berlin isn't far from there, I'd only been at the Baltic once before since moving here, and that was only for one night. It's beautiful, though (and "only" 4h by car), so I'm convinced now that I need to go back soon!

Having seen quite a few cute selfmade travel wardrobes, I wanted to take a capsule wardrobe of only me-mades, too. In the end, I slipped in a couple of RTW garments (bikini, a couple of cardis, rain jacket etc.) anyway. I guess I'll work that out for next time! ;) Despite only going for 5 days, I packed quite a lot of garments. I rather like to have a bit of a choice when getting dressed, and it still all fits into my little bag (I love how squashable most of my garments are...), so I tend to pack the same amount no matter if it's five days or ten. As you can see, I went with a nautical/stripey theme. :)
My capsule wardrobe: three longsleeved tops, two shortleeves ones, two skirts, three dresses, a pair of trousers, a bolero shrug and five pairs of knickers - all me-made - plus some colourful leggings.
Four of those garments are as of yet still unblogged, I think. The blue Moss skirt, the white and the blue striped boatneck tees (adapted from my TNT Ottobre raglan top pattern) and the red shrug, traced from RTW. All have been pretty useful this summer already! I didn't actually manage to wear all those garments (and I missed taking a picture of the first day travelling there, when I wore the green striped Lola), although it's just the two dark blue tops and the polka-dot dress that got a miss. I actually "saved" the dress for the drive home, anticipating some colder weather -  that didn't turn up, though, hence the Lola again.

(Oops, and it seems I omitted the red polka-dot dress from the capsule picture... never mind, I think it may still have been in the wash.) The weather was a bit chilly and pretty windy for the first couple of days, but for the last couple, I almost regretted not bringing any really summery dresses. Such is the fickle weather at the seaside, I guess.
I really have no room for complaints, though, because aside from a light drizzle on both the day we got there and the day we left, we enjoyed incredibly gorgeous blue skies (admittedly slightly enhanced by a polar filter in these pics), good sea air, lovely food, walking along sandy beaches and even a dip or two into the Baltic.
They have wicker beach chairs. It's adorable! The water is pretty clear, too. Lots of jellyfish, though, although mostly of the non-stingy variety, so far as I know.
This is the island of Rügen, btw, the biggest German island. It's connected to the mainland by a bridge and a dam, so you can take your car over there without taking a boat. It is pretty big, too, at least 25km across and maybe 45km long, and it has internal "seas" connected to the Baltic, too.
It's pretty touristy even this late in the (summer) season, one day we wanted to visit the town sporting the main port but couldn't get a parking spot and it was packed with tourists wanting to go on boat trips. We decided to retire to a smaller beach instead...
We went looking for chicken gods there (no idea why they're called that, and the dictionary tells me they're adder stones in English - stones with a natural hole washed into them by water) and even found a few. They're supposed to bring luck or protect you from evil, I think.
In the end, I left them on the beach, though, for the next lucky finder. :)

Did you get up to any adventures this summer? And how much do you tend to pack for a holiday/vacation?

5 comments:

  1. beautiful pictures! coastal landscapes always soothes me, for some reason. and i live on the coast of the baltic sea ;) i'd take me a few hours on a boat to reach your side, though... i like your capsule wardrobe too, it's so you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, so jealous. I 've wanted to go to the Baltic coast for a few years.looks great. Love the clothes, such great blue and white and red pieces. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how your me-mades go together and you can create a capsule wardrobe! It shows that you have a great understanding of your own personal style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute pictures!!! Love your capsule wardrobe! Your style is very "mariniere".

    ReplyDelete
  5. from what i know of english folklore, stones that have naturally created holes in them are believed to give you the ability to see things that are hidden, like faeries and such, so you can see danger coming.

    ReplyDelete