Monday, September 8, 2014

Hopping the Blog

You may have seen the blog hop that's been going around, about why bloggers write and stuff? Well, I've been tagged by Joëlle of The Handstitched Files to participate! Joëlle is a lovely sewing blogger from Sweden, and I admit that I may have started following her blog because of her blog's gorgeous lace header... Nah, I'm kidding, it's because I'm in love with her self-stitched wardrobe and would totally steal it and wear it all if I could. Plus, her photos always look so pretty - and she's a lovely style of writing, too. :)
Joëlle in a lovely Carme blouse
What with blogging pretty irregularly (and posting mostly crappy photos) since I started my job in January, I'm pleasantly surprised that anyone is still reading this blog, let alone tag me for a blog hop! So thank you kindly, Joëlle, and thanks all of you who're reading this for sticking with me. :)

Why do I write?
Honestly, sometimes I'm wondering myself. ;) I started this blog way back when (ahem, that would be in 2010, after the first ever Me-Made May), to participate in that lovely growing sewing community. People were making all those lovely garments, and blogging about them, and starting sew-alongs and challenges, and I wanted to be part of it, to start on my own me-made wardrobe and share the process and the inspiration and the wins and the fails. By now, the sewing community has grown so much, there are so many different things going on, so many new and pretty Indie patterns coming out all the time, it's hard to stay on top of things. Coupled with holding a full-time job for the first time in my life instead of living the languish life of a university student, I feel that pretty much everything about my blogging has suffered. The frequency, the quality of the photos and the writing, my participation in things... Reading blogs and commenting, too. Ah well. At least I'm still sewing. :)
polka-dot blouse made from quilting cotton, one of my first makes way back when
What am I working on?
Sewing-wise? Well, there is this bunch of happy patterned knit fabrics that I bought at the Maybachufer Market a couple of weeks ago, because they reminded me of Gillian. Since the weather is still warm(ish), I was thinking short-sleeved dresses. I also have an almost-finished muslin of the Sewaholic Thurlow trousers, and a bunch of pretty linen-blend fabrics. And when I'm finished with the leftover summer sewing, Sarah's Fall Essentials Sew-Along is beckoning. I've already made a tentative list. Will I ever get around to blogging it? I have no idea...
Fabric! 
Oh, blog-wise you mean? Well. I'd actually like to catch up on all those unblogged garments, and maybe get back to taking nice-ish outdoor pictures of my makes, instead of making B. (aka Mr. Farbenfreude, who absolutely hates taking pictures) take a cell phone pic. Or manage to actually get back to that a-post-a-week schedule, and not only post about what I'm sewing, but, you know, inspiration and stuff. Mind, I'm not actively working on that (yet). It's more like on my wish-list. ;) But maybe I should start writing a list. And while I'm at it, I might also start on that shopping list to organize my sewing space a bit better.

How does it differ from others of its genre?
Ahem, does it? I don't know. I've honestly never blogged with a goal in mind like starting a brand or a business or even making money fom sponsors, so I've never quite given a thought to being different or unique. Well, not more unique than you are without trying, anyway. ;) I guess my niche (that I'm sharing with a few others) is making fun, comfortable, colourful garments, mostly out of knit fabric, and making multiples of my favorite patterns. I also now and then slip in little posts about the tomatoes on my balcony, or possibly food.
Tomatoes. :D
How does my writing process work?
Right. I'm not sure there's even a process to it. I tend to just write what's on my mínd. I also like to start with the pictures. Because they break up the paragraphs so nicely. After putting in the pictures, I can nicely fill the space between. ;) If I write about a garment from a new pattern, I usually have a few points I always review, plus some thoughts. Since I'm very bad about taking notes while I sew, I usually forget about half. ;) Oh well.

So, to keep this blog hop going, I'm nominating Silvia the Sewingprincess and Becky from Sew and So. Silvia is from Italy (my favorite country for holidays!) and always makes very elegant and stylish creations. She also dances the Flamenco! Becky's blog I love because of all the fun stuff she's making: pretty jewellery, Dr. Who related stuff, Disney costumes, and she's a champion trouser maker and sewed her own incredibly lovely wedding dress!

3 comments:

  1. hey, thanks for joining in! sounds like you are not much more organized than me when it comes to writing posts. goo to know i'm not alone...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, nothing wrong with taking a step back from the blogging when dealing with Major Life Transitions. And I'd say ending college and starting full-time jobs counts! Thank you for the nomination, I'm quite honored. And that printed fabric is soooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are way to self-depreciating! I always enjoy reading your blog. The lovely thing about blogging is that we'er here to read you whenever you have time to post - so don't feel bad if it's less often when life is busy! :)

    ReplyDelete