Sunday, September 14, 2014

OWOP - A Week of Macarons

I just checked out the post I wrote for OWOP 2012. I hadn't fully realized that was two and a half years ago! Funny, to think back and see how much has changed since then... Two years ago, I wore my self drafted jersey top and dress pattern, which by now has actually been succeeded by a raglan sleeved top from Ottobre magazine as my go-to jersey top pattern... And actually, I was going to use the Ottobre top as my pattern for OWOP 2014. A bit boring, I know, and I changed my decision last minute since, for one, you've already recently seen half of my Ottobre versions in the Holiday Capsule Wardrobe. For another, only one of those tops is short sleeved and the weather forecast was so nice, I rather wanted to wear something summery. :)
OWOP Day 1: Macaron-inspired lacy jersey dress

To be honest, though, I'm not sure if it was all that smart to change my decision. I went for the Ottobre top in the first place because I have two tops I wear at work made from that pattern, so I would have been guaranteed to wear those anyway. Plus, I tend to put on leggings or yoga pants and knit tops as soon as I get home if we don't have people over, and the Ottobre pattern certainly qualifies for a comfy knit top.
Day 2: Hawaiian Macaron, Day 3: Strawberry Macaron

As you can see, I wore the Macaron Dress by Colette Patterns instead this week. Well, the knit and lace dress from Day 1 actually only shares the general idea and the curve of the sweetheart with that pattern (or at least my modified version of it). Still, I'm going to count it. I love that dress.

The downside of my choice was, of course, that some of those dresses only got worn on the way home from work, being exchanged for leggings and a t-shirt as soon as I got home...
Day 6: Blue Plaid Macaron, Day 7: Strawberry Macaron with RTW cardi

Even so, after a week of wearing Macarons, I am reminded why I love this pattern so much. It's cute and a bit quirky, easy to wear and comfy. All of mine (except for the Hawaiian Macaron) feature knit yokes, which make them even more comfortable, and the pocket placement in the front pleats is one of the most ingenious I've ever come across. Of course, styling wise it's not as versatile as a blouse or skirt, besides wearing it with leggings/tights or different cardis, or maybe a scarf, I don't think I could come up with a lot of different ideas for outfits. I'm pretty sure I could come up with a few dozen more fabric combinations that would make eminently wearable Macarons, though. And I think I may have room in my wardrobe for maybe one or two more... ;-)

Do you have a pattern that you can't seem to get enough of?

4 comments:

  1. These are all so lovely and so different! You've done a great job of making this pattern your own. I didn't participate in this challenge but seeing other people's round ups has made me think about how I can use my existing patterns more, rather than always wanting to try something new. Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of your Macaron dresses :) Makes me fall in love with the pattern all over again !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your macarons all look gorgeous on you! it really suits you to a t :) I like all the cool fabric and print combinations you've used too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you've created such different looks with all your Macarons. Very pleased to hear a week of wearing them hasn't put you off the pattern! Thanks for participating. x

    ReplyDelete