Saturday, November 29, 2014

Lola³

I'm slowly working my way towards blogging about the rest of this year's makes, so I can start the new year with a fresh mind. There' s only about two posts of spring and summer makes left, before I can get to the more recent ones! ;-)

You may have noticed that I like making and wearing the Lola dress by Victory Patterns, I already made five versions last year and it's one of my favorite patterns. I made another two this spring and one in early autumn, and I'm planning at least two modified versions for winter wear. :-) 
 
 Green striped Lola
This one has been worn a lot during spring. The fabric is a jersey with tiny green and cream stripes (same kind of fabric that my strawberry stripe top is made of) and I used green interlock fabric for the bindings. That's the only thing I really don't like about the dress: the interlock has very little recovery and the bindings tend to bag out. I think I may switch them out with actual ribbing, as soon as I find some in the right colourway. 
The other issue that has prevented me from wearing it yet this autumn is that I prefer to wear it with nude tights (not warm enough in this weather), and the long sleeves don't lend themselves to being covered by a cardi. I have a new pair of green tights that could work, though. Or do you have any other colour suggestions?

Green Hoody Lola
I had high hopes for this dress, since I loved the idea of a hooded Lola since seeing this one(psst, it's colour blocked, too!). However, in this case the fabric choice took it from a win to a fail. It's made of the aforementioned green cotton interlock (actually, a tiny 1x1 rib - is that still called interlock?), which felt actually really nice and medium weight, but stretches out like nobody's business. I had the bright idea of lining the hood with quilting cotton, which I've seen succesfully done in Bench sweaters. Not a bright idea with this stretchy interlock, though. 
The hood was traced from an existing sweater and is probably fine, except that my (lowered from the original) neckline was a bit too low and wide. Overall, this dress just doesn't work well and even around home I've only worn it a couple of times. (The photos were taken right after making it - it was baggy about 5 mins later and I'd already taken all four seams in by about 3cm...) I'll probably retire it, since I don't even know what kind of garment could work with this fabric if I wanted to refashion it. I haven't given up on the idea of a hooded Lola, though, and I'm mightily in love with this navy star print sweater fabric, which even has a soft and fluffy wrong side...

Lacy Polka-dot Lola
This is my most recent Lola and it worked wonderfully both for the last summery days and now for the colder ones, paired with tights and a cardi. It is made from the same 1.5 m piece of navy dotted fabric as this top, which is why it has short sleeves cut on the crossgrain and lacy pockets. :-) Since the fabric is a 4-way stretch, there's no problem with tightness of any kind.
You'd think that I've got enough Lolas now, but as I said, I have at least a couple more still planned. They're going to be made from sweater knit, one of them a refashion from a knit cardi/coat that my grandma gave me. I think the princess seams should work well for pattern placement and I'm probably going to eliminate the pockets and waist seam, to get a slimmer line, as I did with my Star Trek Lola. The other one is going to be made from this interestingly patterned wool sweater knit.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh I've just started playing with Lola and it is a really fun pattern! Nice to see several other versions and more of what it's capable of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've now got me convinced to try Lola!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your lolas. The idea of adding a hood is very appealing. I have made two and would like another in a thicker knit. :)

    ReplyDelete