Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Hopping on the Ginger Jeans Train

It seems like forever since I wrote a blog post about sewing something. Heck, it seems like forever that I sat at my sewing machine the last time (and as, objectively, that has been mid-March and end-of-April, respectively, maybe my feelings are not so far off). Anyway, I cut out a quick sewing project a couple of days ago (just a knit top), and I'm on night shift today, so I actually have time to sew! And it seems I have time to blog, too!

There's actually quite a few projects I have managed to finish this year (seven, to be exact, with only one already blogged) but I'll start with the most recent one: Ginger jeans!

Even though I got the pattern within weeks of its release last year, it took me a long while to gather the courage and motivation to actually start making them. Why? Well, I bought my last pair of jeans in 2010 (in Sydney, incidentally). I wear jeans about twice a year, mostly on cold summer days when I'm really not in the mood to wear tights under a dress, and all my leggings are in the wash. Jeans are uncomfortable, and it takes forever to find a pair that fits. Plus, they never looks quite right on my short-legged body. But after reading what felt like the millionth blog post of an awesome sewing lady about the general awesomeness of the Ginger pattern (all of them looking seriously lovely in their jeans), I felt compelled to try

Well, turns out that, like many others, I just never had a pair of jeans that really fit before.
This first pair of Gingers is made of a really stretchy denim I bought in Hong Kong five years ago. IT'S SO COMFORTABLE! Almost like a pair of jeggings. It did take me several tries to get the crotch curve right. In the end, a flat-bum adjustment plus a sway back adjustment seemed to do the trick.
I really enjoyed the process of putting them together. The topstitching proved to be surprisingly painless. I did that portion of the sewing on the Pfaff machine that I inherited from my paternal grandma, which has an integrated walking foot. It's certainly not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with it. The seams are finished on the overlocker. 
I was very happy with the thoroughness of the instructions, too. I don't think I have ever installed a fly front that went in that easily. 
As with many first attempts, not everything went perfect. For one, I cut one leg short for some reason. Happily, my legs aren't that long, so they're still full length. For another, when I took the legs in to get a more skinny fit, I took all the width from the back leg sideseam. Why? I have no idea, it was a totally silly idea, because now the leg twists.
I'm pretty sure people in real life don't notice, though. ;)
Version number two is made with a strawberry coloured denim that I got in Cologne a few years ago. It has a lot less stretch, but is still pretty comfortable to wear. Must be the fit, then... 
I drafted a pocket stay for both versions, following the directions at the Curvy Sewing Collective. Although I hear that Heather has updated the pattern to include a pocket stay now. Plus, there's a discount code for 20% off all patterns viable until today, in case you still need your own Ginger jeans pattern (or Bombshell swimsuit or Nettie or whatever)!

I love the happy colour, it's perfect for the cooler summer days. It also fits right into my colour palette (good thing I have several navy tops). Both Gingers got worn several times during MMMay and I'm really happy that I managed to finish them in time, because the weather was pretty unseasonably cold this year. Actually, it's still pretty cold most days, even though it's June! 
Have you ever sewn something you weren't quite sure about, only to realize that it perfectly filled a wardrobe hole you hadn't noticed before?

No comments:

Post a Comment