Wednesday, June 8, 2016

polka-dot summer dress

Ah, it's summer, how beautiful! My favorite time of the year, starting at the end of April, when slowly but surely the cherries and lilacs start blooming, Berlin tends to smell rather lovely all through the early summer season, all the way into July. Linden trees and strawberries and the smell of summer rain and the river, cut grass and summer jasmin... :-)

In between all the other stuff I'm doing, I hardly find any time for sewing, which may not be the worst thing in the world, because my backlog of unblogged (and unphotographed) garments is about a mile long. Then again, the list of garments I'd love to make and finish this summer is just about a mile long, too. Does that mean they cancel each other out? Lol, probably not...

But since I managed to take pictures of a recent dress during MMM, let's get started with that one!
The idea for that dress and the fabric have been in my head (and my stash) for at least a couple of years, never realized because I was looking out for the perfect pattern. I even bought several patterns, but they were never quite perfect.
The end result isn't quite perfect, either, but at least it's done and wearable. And I may yet tinker with it a bit, to see if I can get it nearer to the vision I had of it.
The fabric is a navy rayon jersey with little white pin dots. Please don't ask me where I got it. It may have been Goldhawk Road, when I visited London in... 2012? Possibly it was stoffe.de.
The pattern I used in the end is Cake Pattern's Tiramisu dress, with a few modifications. The bodice is made up of four self-lined pieces, with an overlap in front and the kimono sleeves gathered into more of a sleeveless style. Since I eliminated the neckband by lining the bodice, it gapes a bit. I'll either stitch the two sides together at the right height or try to deepen the overlay a bit, soon. The sleeves are also wider than I anticipated, and I may slim them down a bit, at least in front. I kind of like the draped look, but they tend to feel like they'll fall down, and a couple of centimeters might make all the difference.
I'm very find of the deep back neckline and the twirly half-circle skirt. If the front didn't gape that much, especially after a few hours of wearing it, I might not take that dress off again. :-)

By the way, and what I forgot to tell you in my MMM posts: I wouldn't love wearing my summer dresses half as much if I weren't wearing Bandelettes. No sponsering here, just an honest endorsement from one gal without a thigh gap to others who may have the same problem. If you wanna know more, I wrote a blog post about it two years ago...

How's your summer (or winter, as it may be) going?

No comments:

Post a Comment